Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial number used in plant maintennace

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

all PM Guru,

i have configured plant maintenanace in manufacturing. Now they required identification for each & every equipment so i think that i will have to use serial no.

kindly tell the setting and process fro the same.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanx

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

first you have to create material and specify in the serial data tab in the equipment master and specify the serial nuumber

for details please refer [Serial number management|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/3c/abc38a413911d1893d0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm]

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for the same.

but we want that serial number should be unique fro every equipment and also we want that serial number should be generate automatically.

so for this what will be the steps.

waiting your response.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

Edited by: santosh jaiswal[SAP MM] on Jun 18, 2008 11:00 AM

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

serial number must be unique? what do you mean by that.

serial number can be generated automatically by the system once you do the business transactions like goods receipt ,delivery etc. for this you have assign the serial number profile to the material master .

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear thyagarajan,

actually i have to use serial no. for the euipment in plant maintenance. and in this plant around 500 equipment like genset, sewing machine, needle machines are there.

so i want that 500 different serial no. must be created for every equipment.so that every equipment could be identified uniquly.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

since you have already created the equipment you have to create the serial number manually using IQ01 or in the equipment master record in the serial number tab page

you will have different serial number for all the equipments

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear thyagarajan,

thanks so much for quick reply.

this okay.

but suppose if i have not created equipment and i have to craete serial no. automatically then what will be the procedure.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

it is different in business process,ie if you assign serial no profile to material then as soon as you post the goods receipt against the PO then system will create a serial no and equipment ( provided you have made the settings a always with the equipment).also if you create a delivery for the material then system will create an equipment master based on the serialization procedure assigned to the serial no profile

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

"just let me explain my scenario.

our plant is running already since 3 years back.

and in that plant PP,MM,FI HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED ALREADY.

now PM is to implement. therefore all goods receipt has done so no need to do again."

now i have to make equipment master with different & unique serial numbers.

i think now everything would be cleared.

kindly now suggest the process.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

Already i have mentioned that since equipment has been created previously you have to create it,go to equipment in the change mode then in the serial no tab page you can specify the serial number it will automatically create serial number master record.if you have assigned the serial number profile to the material master during further transactions it will be created automatically

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

all that you have told, i have done but seial no. is not creating automatically. i am having to enter manually then only serial no. is taking.

if anything new which i have to do in customization, kindly suggest.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

i think you have gone through the link i have given ,serial number will create automatically only during business process ie goods receipt ,in your case since you have already done that you have to create manually ,there is no other go

in future if you want the serial number automatically then specify the serial number profile in the material master

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

i have assigned profile in material master. but serial number is not creating automatically.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dear

you have to do the business transaction ,after specifying the serial no profile ,create one purchase order and post the goods receipt then system will automatically create serial number provided you have made the settings in serial number profile

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Dear Dear

>

> you have to do the business transaction ,after specifying the serial no profile ,create one purchase order and post the goods receipt then system will automatically create serial number provided you have made the settings in serial number profile

>

> regards

> thyagarajan

Dear ,

i think there is a miscommunication from my side.

i have to use serial number in SAP-PM not in SAP-MM module.

for sap-pm module what will be the procedure.

regards,

santosh jaiswal

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

As far as PM is concerned serial number will not generate automatically ,you have to specify them

other way is while delivering material if you have maintained the serial no profile then system will create automatically equipment master record in which material with serial number will get populated

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear santosh,

The serial numbers get generated not only in MM module. whenever u r procuring a material or equipment to the plant the system considered as a inventory and generates new number for that.

In PM module it will happens for new equipment and refurbished equipment both. that u need to customize for that.

In the first case as u said, already created equipment in the system. You need to give it manually.

some of the plants they maintain the manufacturer serial no.s as unique number for that equipment to recognize that for AMC's.

Regards,

kamal