cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Objects and xMII

Former Member
0 Kudos

With SAP's the acquisition of Business Objects (BO), I know that this potentially increases MII value as a more robust reporting tool. We have both MII and Business Objects. Is there a way to integrate the two technologies so I could utilize the power of BO within MII?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Chip,

Any of the MII data can be displayed in BOBJ via Web Service calls to MII which allows the end user the best of both worlds for Enterprise & Manufacturing Level reporting. Everything in MII is exposed as web services and URLs...but a hybrid report that combines the two technologies is the way to go. BOBJ at the top dashboard and MII as your drill-down; I don't think there's a rival out there for the SPC and data aggregation capabilities of MII.

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mind my ignorance, but what does BOBJ stand for? Business Objects...?

0 Kudos

Chip,

No worries...yes it does and we're actually not supposed to refer to Business Objects as BOBJ anymore...just to lazy to type it out. Sorry for the confusion.

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Casual investigation into the use of Crystal Reports with MII yielded a major advantage and a couple of disadvantages:

ADVANTAGE: Nice(r?)-looking reports can be generated in a fraction of the time from traditional MII reports

DISADVANTAGES:

1. Deploying similar reports to multiple sites could be a significant headache, since the "XML and Web Services" connection definition is a string and not a set of parameters that allows the server name (for instance) to be modified easily.

2. A schema is required for any report, so this must be created manually or dynamically via XSL

Chip: Would love to hear what you end up doing or determining.

Edited by: David McKnight on Jun 18, 2008 2:04 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Crystal Xcelsius can consume Web Service and XML data feeds, so the integration should be trivial for that range of applications. Not sure about "mainstream" BO capabilities, but I would think similar capabilities would exist.