Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

u201CWhat is the future of SAP-PLM?u201D

rajesh_chavan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

u201CWhat is the future of SAP-PLM?u201D

One of my colleague, has few years of exp in C++ mainly in development of a PLM product u201CENOVIAu201D but now and there are no more project in C++

He is been given option of moving to SAP-PLM

Previously before moving to IT, he has also worked in Manufacturing industry for 3 years as a Production and Planning engineer and has hands-on Baan ERP

So well versed with the PLM fundamentals and have interest in it as well. But he is not sure about the future of SAP-PLM and just cautious if he will get stuck in future by getting such narrow area. Can anybody suggest few points that will help him think and take wise decision?

Cheers

RC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. First of all its good idea for learing mySAP PLM.

2. Now a days mySAP PLM is one of the richest and fast moving software for Industries.

3. If you knows very well on CAD/CAM, then it could be better.

4. If you will have to choose noe of the following modules from PLM.

a. PS (Project System)

b. QM (Quality Management)

c. cProejcts Suite

d. EHS (Environment, Health and Safety)

e. PPM (Portfolio and Project Management).

Regards,

Srini Nookala

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Wish I had a crystal ball to answer this question. Here's my take on this... if you take a look back at the evolution of enterprise software, we start off with MRP (Material Requirements Planning), then MRPII (Manufacturing Resource Planning) which evolved into ERP. PLM looks to be the next bandwagon or wave that companies are going to jump on. Having said that, the SAP-PLM solution is evolving and it remains to be seen if it will really catch on in a big way. We are now increasingly seeing large corporation going for SAP PLM with caution.

A very good reference for articles and podcast on SAP industry trends I refer to is www.jonerp.com. Perhaps you could try searching there to see if you can find something useful related to the future of PLM.

Cheers,

Lashan

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OVer 2/3 of the fortune 500 use SAP. PLM is basic building block for all installations. For companies to drop SAP and move to something else would cost them a huge sum. (cost of new system plus write-off and loss of benefit of old SAP system = 100 - 500 million dollars at least for most clients)

It's not going away for a very long time. SAP continues to add clients and all of these installations will require ongoing upgrades.

Craig