cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring a Network printer ,Which is connected to the server via VPN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

*I would like to configure a network printer.Which is connected to the server via VPN

And this have to be accessed using SAPRouter*

*My SAP server is connected to customer via VPN connection * ie SAP server and the front ends (Customer site) are at geographicaly diffarent places

And I want to use a network printer (Name:printer1) located at customer site.

Here I know the access method to be used is U.

My OS is Linux. And the Printer is a network printer

I could access the printer only via SAPRouter(as the SAP server and required Printer are at geographicaly diffarent locations )

Here are my questions:

1. So for this do I have to configure any thing on the OS level ?

2.I know only the printer IP from the customer side,what else I need ?

3.I know my SAProuter IP ,Through which router string I could access the network printer ?

Also While creation out put device using SPAD, I am having some concerns

On the access method TAB

What should I give on the fields Host printer and Destination host

I tried giving the Printer name as the Host printer and IP adress of the printer with out router string as the

Destination host, But its not working ,While saving I am getting the message

Unable to reach the remote host spool system

So I think ther is some thing wrong in my entries on the Access Tab

Please help me

Regards

Shyam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Simple answer: you can print through a saprouter connection. Neither the protocol, that is used (lpd or socket) nor the saprouter are aware of any saprouter.

You have two choices:

- connect the networks so the system on your side can "ping" the printer

- use local printing (SAPWIN - access method G) and connect the network printer to a print server on the remote location

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks Markus for the reply

I was trying to use the first option itself, But my problem is when I just try to ping the printer IP from my server it will not reach, This should go through the SAProuter And While giving entries in the Access Tab on the SPAD, what should I give as the fields Host printer and Destination host?

I already tried giving the printer name as the Host printer and the Printer IP as the destination host

Its not working

Do I have to do anything on OS level for this on my server ?

As my Spool WPs should pass the out put request to the OS spooler at the printer side, but ther

the printer is not on any server,its just on the network, here my OS spooler have to accept the request from the SAP ,But how will I do that ?

Regards

Shyam Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

if you are not able to ping your printer IP address from your sap server then you can not use host spool access method U.

host spool access method U or S is generally used in local network.

you are using VPN connection or connection using sap router in this case use of frontend printing is best solution.

regards,

kaushal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was trying to use the first option itself, But my problem is when I just try to ping the printer IP from my server it will not reach, This should go through the SAProuter And While giving entries in the Access Tab on the SPAD, what should I give as the fields Host printer and Destination host?

A normal "ping" can´t go through the saprouter.

Do I have to do anything on OS level for this on my server ?

you will need to set up statis routes. The printer must be reachable vial ping.

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it may be a matter of the extremly bad design of SPAD gui,

that forces to maintain data with error, e.g. missing LPD-PortNo.

=> https://scn.sap.com/thread/3940963