cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused- Mobile technical requirements

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have been asked to analyse what is required to use mobile applications. I have started searching for answers but I am now confused with all the options.

Can we create mobile applications with these systems in our landscape ?

R/3 version 4.7

Was version 6.2

Portal NW2004s

oracle 10G

Is it mandatory to install Netweaver application server to be able to create mobile apps and if so can I install Was java only or do I need the WAS abap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you have a look into the SAP documentation about MI it says, you need a dedicated box for MI. Well, this is due to performance, size of replica DB and that stuff. For DEV you could setup MI on the same box as your backend. But you really need a high SP level to get it working on an old system - and it has to be at least a Netwevaer 2004 system as per my knowledge.

You need ABAP and JAVA as you work with Netweaver 2004 or Netweaver 2004s systems. If you are one of the happy clients with access to Netweaver 7.1 or MI7.1 - then you only need the ABAP instance installed.

Hope that this did not raise to many new questions - feel free to ask if there are some.

Regards,

Oliver

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

On my existing netweaver 2004s server (only portal and java are installed ) , can I add the MI and abap to this , how should I proceed to add these to my existing box ?

Has anyone done this before.

Thank you,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does this mean I absolutely need to install the abap stack ? and connect it to the backend ? I was thinking that maybe I could use only the portal with the j2ee to create mobile webdynpro. Is this possible or do I need to install the abap stack

much appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

well, that is the question: you are not interested in MI occasionally connected apps - you want to use MI always connected with WD.

Is that correct? Sorry, I never did a clean installation on that area. I only know you need ABAP and J2EE for occasionally connected apps.

See the other thread I mentioned earlier for more detailsplease.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you,

Can I just install MI on my netweaver portal server and connect to the backend without an WAS ? I am trying to figure if can use MI applications without WAS.

Is this possible ? ( we will be using webdynpros )

Thanks ,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

as long as your Portal Server is a NW2004 or NW2004s system with ABAP and J2EE Stack installed - you should be able to run MI on that box. Take the relevant setup guide and configure it as necessary. The function modules should be available.

But be aware of the impact if it comes to performance issues. It is not recommended to run this scenario in Productive environment!

In my first reply I missed a point: you have the ability to run always online Apps as well. The abopve recommendtion is for Occasionally connected apps. If you are running always connected - see the tmessage about this from Joan Hubens called "Requirements Mobile WebDynpro Online Scenario" - this will handle that issue as well.

Regards,

Oliver