cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the Validate step for Approve step

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have modeled a workflow with the steps start,process, validate, approve, process and stop.

Process is set to owner and approve is set to some other user user1.

My requirement is as follows :

1) Approve the records by approver and then it should send it to the next step for further processing

1.1) if the approver did not approve the record it should send a error message until the record is approved. So it should not send it to the next step when record is not approved

I am using a field called item status for approving and disapproving the records. My validation is based on this field only... Validation working fine when i tested it manually.

But my issue is when am using this validate step in workflow design validation is getting triggered for all the users.as per my requirement only approver should get the error message.But in my scenario owner is getting the error message and approver is not getting any message.

How can i use the validate step only for particular step say approve in workflow.

Can anyone please help me out how should use validate step only for approve step...

Thanks & Regards

Sireesha.

Edited by: sireesha esukapalli on Jun 17, 2008 2:48 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sireesha

We also had a similar requirement wherin once the record is getting disapproved by Approver it should go back to previous step with notification to the User. This is not possible. MDM doesnot support rejection of records. Even if when the record is unapproved it will always go back to previous step.So if you want a mail to be sent on rejection the workflow will look like:

start> process->notify>Approve->stop

Problem is even for the first time when record is being submitted for Approval after creation/change it will trigger the Notify step.

Also adding branching along with approve makes sense only when both these steps are in Group which is also not allowed. that is we cant have branch step inside Group.

Award points if helpful.

Regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Call the validation in Branch step and form 2 processes. On correct validation send it to approval and on i correct one send it back....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bharti,

What u said is correct but my problem is when i use the validate step either before approve step or in branch step the validation is getting triggered at the first step in the design, i.,e at the process step this validation is getting triggered.. this validation returns an error message. But as per requirement only approver should this error message so i should validate a paricular criteria only when the approver logs into the DM.

How can i design a workflow in order to execute the validation only for the approve step?

I have tried with the brach step and validate step but this validation is getting triggered only at the first step.

Can anybody please advice me...

Thanks & Regards

Sireesha.

Edited by: sireesha esukapalli on Jun 18, 2008 6:57 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have set the validation property to "None".

My design is as follows :

start->process->validate->approve->stop.

Owner is assigned to process step and approver is assigned to approve step.

Now my problem is owner is also getting this error message along with the approver. AS per the design both process, approve users are getting the error message.

As per my requirement only approver should get this prompt but not the owner.

How can i restrict only for specifc user to get this message.

Can anybody please advice how can restrict the owner to not get this error message...

Thanks & Regards

Sireesha.

Edited by: sireesha esukapalli on Jun 24, 2008 2:18 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone please give reply to this thread?

Thanks & Regards

Sireesha.