Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best of SDN 2005 your suggestions ...

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers,

It is the time of the year to look back and praise the best of SDN and if you have done three praises you can also throw in some lame things that just don't work right yet, like the SDN T-Shirt delivery process

Go ahead and post. I will also announce the call for suggestions in a Weblog.

Looking forward to it, Mark and the SAP SDN Team.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (34)

Answers (34)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My Apologies to the author, for not investing time before in contributing to this forum, only excuse I answer the survey, but that is just a excuse.

I liked the ESA effort, altough I will like more non developer activities in there (I am a not developer).

I have gone to other areas such as the pilot and events and find them very interest.

In short the site has a lot to offer and should be used in two modes

1.- with an specific end in mind to find answers to your needs.

2.- with no specific end in mind like visiting a library and walking down the allies and taking note of items to research later.

Thanks for the opportunity and best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SDNers,

This is very nice and usefull site for new beginers and experinced guy's.

<i><b>"I WISH U A VERY HAPPY & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR 2006".</b></i>

We expect lot of new things in 2006.

Cheers!!!

Srini Nookala

Former Member
0 Kudos

I fully agree that SDN is good in terms of replies to the problems.

Sample Applications and Tutorials are the HIGHLIGHTED one.

regrds

Chitti Babu

Private_Member_9643
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Best of SDN 2005.......

Entry of Craig Cmehil in the SDN team, i think he is the Best Collobration Manager for any community or portal i ever saw.......

Other than Craig, T-Shirts, i-Pod, Contribution-corner, SDN meet Lab, SDN block at TechEd...

Thanks & Regards,

Kamaljeet Singh

guru_subramanianb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI SDNers,

I cannot forget the year 2005 in SDN. I registered as a new user in SDN towards the end of 2004 and without much interaction. I began to blog as early in Jan 2005 and it turned to be a new landmark for me. I learnt many things through SDNers particularly in forms of blogs, forums and tutorials. I also shared some of learning experiences through blogs and articles.

Getting a Sony PSP for top contributor from SDN is a moment which I would never like to erase from my memory in my life.

Let the knowledge of us flow in the years to come through SDN.

I wish Mark,Criag and the team all the very best in the years to come.

Best Regards,

Guru Subramanian B

thomasalexander_ritter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

so my favourites were:

-SDN meets labs (great event)

-nice new videos especially the one from nike (SDN meets labs - palo alto)

-many people got rewarded for their hard work: Craig now on sdn, Thomas and his BSP book,...

...oh and of course sticky posts in the forums

regards

Thomas

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry for not doing it in 2005 (I was on vacation), but better ever than never.

What can I say?

Being a speaker at <b>SDN Meets Labs</b> was probably the most important event in my entire professional life, and I work for almost 8 years now. At the moment when I didn't even know how to use Power Point I got Mark's invitation which lead to my first presentation ever, and it was a success 500% over my expectations.

Thanks to SDN and of course you, the SDN-ers who voted for me, I have got an opportunity to speak at <b>TechEd</b> as one of 12 non-SAP-employee speakers, and even got an offer from Galileo-Press to write a book on design patterns in ABAP (you'll be able to read more about it when the time comes).

I really don't know how to express what I feel. SDN was like a huge planet accelerating my career with its gravity towards the whole new galaxy.

Do you still think I need to point out my SDN favorites? It helps me make my living, folks!

So thank you all, especially Mark, and keep on with good work.

Igor

P.S. Being able to <b>download and try Web Dynpro ABAP</b> is what I have been waiting for for a long time. Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark~

The sneak-peek and demo downloads were the best of all. Maybe 2006 would see downloads through SAP download manager?

Also, the smaller community interactions off-line have been phenomenal.

Thank you and best regards

Kartik Iyengar~

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

thank you for the improved new functions such as RSS and so on. Especially I would like to say, that I had been happy to get a HCM-Forum. I like it

Sometimes I am having some problems by using Apples Browser Safari with SDN. I hope, it will be better soon.

regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

SDN is a place, where we can improve skills in different areas of SAP, one of them are trying to solve different requirements posting by SDN members.

i am really happy to be part of SDN.<b>I wish you all the very best in the new Year-2006</b>

Regards,

srikanth.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I joined the SDN Team in January 2005, I have had the privilege of seeing 2005 activity from inside, so here's my view from that perspective:

<b>1) Watching daily user activity quadruple during 2005</b>, while noticing there still exists a neighborhood and personal feel to SDN with lots of patient help for “newbies” from veterans and a good deal of encouragement and goodwill (even though there may be contentious views and opinions). I continue to be awed by the commitment and passion of this community and the patience exhibited to help foster new participation.

<b>2) Following the amazing statistics of answers on forum threads.</b> During this very last holiday week ABAP and XI questions got answered within minutes of being posted …even during this traditionally “quiet” week 52, ABAP answers appeared a mere median time 8 minutes after being posted. Incredible!

<b>3) Increasing community diversity.</b> Okay this is something you all can see clearly. Just look at the likes of Bhanu Gupta with dizzying acceleration to over 6.6K points in a few short months. Personally I love the many unique voices of 2005, be they provocative, insightful, informative…representing so many different countries and views.

Here I am viewing at this very moment forum contributors from: Singapore, India, Israel, United States, Russia, Thailand, Germany, Poland, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, Netherlands, China, Turkey, Australia, South Africa, Pakistan, Czech Republic, Hong Kong, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Spain, Philippines and United Kingdom…that’s 24 diverse representations and its 2:00AM Eastern Standard Time

Thanks for the honor!

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am from Karachi Pakistan. I have been a constant follower of SDN Forums and Web logs and they have really helped me out to develop an understanding on various facets of SAP, but I am really astonished that to date there are several SAP Clients and Consultants in Pakistan that are not benefiting from this website.

Lastly I thing the process of registering for a web logger needs to be revised as I am still unable to get registered as a web logger although I now provided all the details.

All in all this is great site and would really like to contribute in its progress and development.

Regards

Kamran

Former Member
0 Kudos

I told myself I wouldn't respond to things in here until after the new year. But in this case I would like to comment that the weblogger registration process has gone under many revisions in the past several months. In your particular case Kamran, the problem is not HOW much information you have given it HOW you wrote it. I've explained it to you in a mail. Make the changes and you will be approved, your plans for blogging are interesting!

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Nice Blogs, Podcasts,SDN points Blow out,....so many...

only on SDN.

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey all..

i think i was late on this....

but anyways...just a couple of words to add to this...

SDN ROCKS !!!!

it had just everything in it, which any SAP consultant wud want...

Happy New Yr to every1....

regards..

vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

My new year wish would be "Please make SDN cross browser compatible".

Have troubles accessing some parts of the SDN with Mozilla Firefox (such as update profile).

Happy holidays.

BTW. what happened to promised "Full" Sneak Preview edition of Java and ABAP that was in the downloads area for a long time and suddenly replaced by "ABAP Only" edition?

--

Venkat

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers,

This thread is for praise of things on SDN in 2005.

Like the SDN Firefox extensions done by Eddy de Clercq. Loved that one.

This thread is not a laundry list of missing functionality. Start a new thread for these.

By the way I tried and was able to modify/update my profile using Firefox. I don't know where the problem is. New thread please.

Thanks, Mark.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr.Mark,

Wonderful things in 'Download' and excellent materials in 'Weblog'.

SDN is really a right place for any kind of soultion in SAP . And at the same time it is a place to learn the new things from SAP.

Best thing in SDN for me had been the 'forum'. Forum is a place where I get solutions to my problems and learn more of SAP.

Wishing all SAP lovers a very happy new year 2006.

Thanks & Regards,

Naidu.

ssimsekler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks

Here is my list:

1. Netweaver 2004S Sneak Preview

2. Forum enhancements

3. Podcasts

Best regards and Happy New Years To All!

*--Serdar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SDN folks...

Best wishes for the New Year 2006.

For me SDN is being the best solutions place for all my SAP related stuff. Hope same to you!

Hope in 2006 we will be having great things and development in SDN forums.

Thanks,

Venu Padmanaban

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I like the Concept of posting Queries and getting

points. The answers given were very useful in solving

the problems and Kudos to all SDN users who have

participated with all the "Enthusiasm".

Hope we all keep up the good work.

<b>I wish all SDNers a Very Happy New Year - 2006</b>

Thanks a lot to all SDNers,

Srinivas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

The Best thing for me in SDN is the continues upgradation. I like WEBlogs a lot. It’s really great to share someone's experience. For example, like the article 'Architect's World' by Kartik Iyengar and others are the best of all.

for me, next to weblogs is the webinar, which SDN has started very recently and it feels very good to share the experience from different people LIVE.

ofcourse, i feel that forums is what draws fresh people to sdn.

I waiting from the last webinar to attend a new one. Hope to see many people join too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SDN, The developer Domain every IT professional would want to be a member of.

Community Collaboration & knowledge sharing, New Articles from Shai Agassi, Encouragement from SDN team for the new comers, Meet Labs are the best and let's meet once again.

MI forum is not progressing much and expecting more in the new year as the technology becomes little more popular across the globe.

I wish all the SDNers a happy new year and all the best.

Happy SDNing.

Srini - ITIG.

venkata_ramisetti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Things I liked in SDN...

1. Enhancements to forum posts (like symbols for 'Problem Solved', 'Problem not solved yet'..etc).

2. Podcasting

Merry christmas to SDNers.

Thanks,

Ramakrishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Great work has been done by the SDN users(SDN Community) by sharing the knowledge through weblogs,code samples and Forum posts etc(equally rewarded by the SDN community) which allowed everyone one of us to get a quick reference of what we need.

Regards,

Vamsi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SDN Team,

I think all enhancements you guys made to the SND in last one year have been great. I would like to suggest some of things i thought were missing from SDN.

1. <b>"Rate the Blog"</b> SND have been a great place for people to share tons of experience interms of blogs. The blogs were from great to ok. It would be nice to have feature to appriciate an article with some rating which in turn could be translated to some sort of points based on the many ratings the article draws.

2. <b>"Quality of Blog"</b> Even though blogs are supposed to be very informal way of communicating tenchincal information, there should be some sort of sensoring of the information being presented. Harsh point of views , personal opinions , author specific comments should be disencourged or mediated. Just browsing thought the weblog you can see feel the heat in some of them.

3. Great Search Enhancements : Search has greatly informed from what is was before. its now very easy to search the forum thread/weblog/documents etc. Great job SDN Team.

Best Regards,

Naveen

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I think what is best about SDN in 2005 was the overall maturing of SDN as the premier resource of all SAP technical information.

We really saw SDN grow - both as a web site and a community.

Now when you go into the forums or the weblogs you see many different (often new) names. Sure there are still plenty of the old timers around; but it is great to look at a forum and see the last 10 questions all answered by 10 different people. It is better for the community to have many active members answering just a few questions each than one Monster Member that answers them all.

The SDN meets Labs and TechEd events were critical sucesses for bringing the community closer together. You can exchange a lot of ideas in a virtual enviornment, but there is something different about physically meeting everyone. The amount of technical information that was exchanged over lunch alone was amazing! My dream for the future would be to someday have a single global event where every SDN member from around the world could finally meet. It would be kind of like Woodstock for SAP Geeks.

Finally the release of the NetWeaver04S ABAP sneak preview is important on so many levels. When have so many SAP customers had the opportunity to try out a new technology before it is generally available. This signals an important shift in the way that new technology is delievered, particularly to developers. This could have far reaching effects beyond just the SDN community.

In an era when the Enterprise Software Industry is consolidating down to just a few major players, the ability to reach out and educate, engage and motivate your development/technology community will become a significant factor. In my opinion, SAP with SDN is a major leap beyond the compitition in this category.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SDNers,

" <b>!!! East or West, SDN is the BEST !!!</b> "

" <b>!!! Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, SDN is the SUPER Star !!!</b> "

Totally SDN is The Best...but to name a few

-> CAF Knowledge Center

-> Forums (Solution to Problems)

-> Sneak Previews

Best Regards,

Joshua Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Through the holidays now, with some time to reflect....

The best part od SDN, has been, and continues to be the folks that participate. Almost universally positive and supportive of others, both those looking fo answers and those offering the benefit of their experience. The BI forums have exploded with participation.

I really enjoy seeing the responses from SAP folks to questions, and am glad there doesn't appear to be any corporate restrictions on their ability to participate. Think it is the most cost effective public relations tool SAP could use.

Got an Ipod and t-shirt out of the deal this year. The t-shirt's nice, but I have to wrestle my son for the Ipod.

Keep up the good work..........

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Pizzaman

Wow, your comments made my day. Almost three years ago we set out to do exactly that: Enable and encourage participation within the whole SAP ecosystem: Customers, Partners, SAP employees, ... creating a community having a positive sum game for everyone involved.

Your comment shows that we are on the right track.

Thanks and good luck iPod wresting with your son

All the best, Mark.

raeijpe
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SDN Team,

SDN is my favorite place on the internet. I like the tons of information, possibility to share information and the quick response of the members

I agree with eddy, I liked the SDN meets Labs event very much. I also hope this will be an annual event.

Also the presence of the SDN team on the SAP Teched was very useful. I liked the ‘Bird-of-a-Feather’ Theater and SDN minisessions.

I hope the SDN team can continue the quality in 2006 and I will meet you again at the SAP Teched 2006 in Amsterdam.

With regards,

Robert Eijpe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Merry christmas all,

On the top of my list of SDN 2005 (eventhough I haven't been really active, I've kept a close eye on you) is:

-Podcasts

-The dramatic increase in weblog content

Regards

Dagfinn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Obviously SDN is an excellent resource. But, I do have

a couple of suggestions for improvement.

1. The scrollbar within the browser scrollbar is rather

inconvenient. Would be nice to be able to work with

a single scrollbar.

2. Some of the posts go well past the horizontal

viewable area, even after maximizing the browser.

A non-example would be this post - I am using hard

returns at the end of every line.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

This enterprise portal is simply wonderful and very useful but as scope of improvements still exist such as writing weblogs as custom interface should be included as we become the member of forum similarly there should be a forum for weblogger and quick registration process for such has to be incorporated.

with regards

subrato kundu

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

my little list:

- top contributors rewards - thanks to it (probably)

we got so many XI weblogs that cover almost every aspect of the XI and more comming:)

- new forums (<b>RFID</b>) - this forum is not the most active yet but it will become as soon as RFID will become a little more popular in Europe I believe

- <b>SDN coummunity managers</b>!

you people listen to us and do almost everything

we ask you for you're the best!

- <b>meets labs</b>! let us meet again

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr.Mark,

Best thing in SDN for me had been the 'forum'. Forum is a place where I get solutions to my problems and learn more of SAP.

Wonderful things in 'Download' and excellent materials in 'Weblog'.

Wishing SDNers a very happy new year 2006.

Regards,

Deva.

qmacro
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Ok, here are my 'best of SDN' for 2005:

- The removal of the login requirement (was that 2005?)

- Community collaboration resulting in books published

- Audio content (aka podcasting)

- Shai's boldness to come and talk to us hackers (although this would have been at position 1 if he'd responded to my "<a href="/people/dj.adams/blog/2005/11/17/sap-and-open-source-an-analysis-and-letter-to-sap-and-shai letter</a>"

All the best for 2006

dj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SDN Team,

1. The best thing was of course was rewarding the top contributors with gifts, weekly gifts through a lucky draw - an Ipod (though I missed out) and of course the T-shirt.

2. The BI forums topped among all the forums in terms of points/contributions/solutions. Great work folks!!!

3. The search functionality has improved and the filter is another nice feature.

4. Having a 2-tier web-blogger system was also a good feature where a web-blogger is first allocated as a "junior" blogger.

5. Last but not the least - the no. of contributors. I guess the no. of contributors to SDN would be 4-5 times the number compared to last year.

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai SDNers,

SDN is Really good and all SDNers replies very useful answers to all my issues .., I WISH U ALL THE best for SDN and SDNers for coming NEW YEAR 2006.

<i>Advance greetings to SDN and SDNers</i>

"<b>WISH U A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR -2006</b>"

Bye

Sreedhar G

Former Member
0 Kudos

You know what's really bad, none of us really from the SDN team have jump in here for Mark with our comments!

For me personally it's hard to say what was best on SDN in 2005. I can't really say it was all the prizes that SDN gave out as for the last half of the year, the part where the big prizes are, I didn't get anymore. Instead I found myself working for SDN. In which case I got the biggest prize of all -- getting to know and work with so many more of the SDNers out there. I'm still overwhelmed with how many excellent and interesting people we have in this community so for me the <b>best</b> of SDN is hands down the community!!

Now if I have to choose "1" item as being the best I would say it's a tie between the new <b>podcasting</b> and <b>Open Source Projects</b>.

HarshC
Active Participant
0 Kudos

My two cents....

Things I loved/liked on SDN..

1. Contributors Corner(iPod a week

2. Podcasts by Craig & Mark.

3. The fact that inspite of growing into such a large community, we still haven't become a "Bureaucracy".

4. Craig as part of the SDN team, though I missed Craig as a SDN member.

5. The T-Shirts! I have 5(1/4k,1/2k,1k,SDN TechEd,Blogger) and still looking forward to more!(My non IT friends think SDN is somekind of an apparel's brand

6. The way SDN keeps changing and growing, there is almost always something new coming up everyweek.(dynpro calendar, podcasts, contributors corner, year-end showdown etc.)

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers,

That's all? Best of SDN 2005 and after two weeks only 10 entries. That's a bit disappointing.

What about <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/u/6806">shai Agassi</a> posting his I Love Open Source rebuttal on SDN? (Yes he wrote it himself)

Post some more, Mark.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would also rate "SDN Newsletter" and "Podcasts" as Best of SDN 2005.