cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is transport possible between different SPs and oracle version?

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need some advise on the title above, is transport possible between different SPs and oracle version?

I would like to apply support package and oracle upgrade from 9 - 10 on our Dev system and allow user testing for 1-2 weeks. During this time, our DEV system's SPs level and oracle version is HIGHER than QAS and PROD. AS i know there should be no problem for DEV transport to QAS and PROD but, however i wish to know more what would happen if changes request/modified objects/etc on DEV with different SPs and Oracle version when it imported to QAS and PROD??

As for as i understand, object inconsistencies can occur but how high is the possibility? As for deviation of Oracle version, i believe it is down and upward compatible?

I just need some support points and material on this question. Your kind advices and guidance is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

ncks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you say, there is no problem between different database versions.

When we run a patch-session we first make a system copy from production into a sandbox. The end-users then run their tests and we can document all changes needed.

Then we run the patch-session for DEV-QAS-PRD in a week.

Patch DEV, adjust according to documentation, Patch QAS, import transport(s), test, go/no-go descision, patch PRD, import transport(s).

It is important that all developments/customizing are finished before patching.

Since the personel has been involved in testing the sandbox, they are

also aware of the patch-strategy and know that changes should not be performed.

If, despite this, a transport is needed during this patch-session:

I always investigate to see if the involved tables, programs etc are

included in the patches I want to apply.

If not I, go ahead and transport as usual.

If I have a collision: I wait as long as i takes.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As far as database changes are concerned, I think it would not affect the transports.

But for different releases of the SAP System may create some problems. There are some information that are available for different patch releases. Its like you have to maintain certain patch level to get the transport through. But you can check the transport.

The best example is shown in the comment above. Also we can have a scenario that QAS server may be at lower level that PRD system (may be because of PRD planning and in that time you have to perform the transports.

What we do is to check the transport first "In test mode" and then transport if all the things are fine.

Please try to look at these notes:

Note 1090842 - Composite note: Transport across several releases

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the nice tips.

As for oracle version, i know it is doesnt matter as DB serves as the transparent layer for SAP. But, i try to google around some supporting point and sapnotes but failed to get one. Do you guys have any nice tips and site that explaining this?

Thanks.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nicholas,

Have you raised an OSS message with this question ? put a note to them with your landscape details, SAP themselves might explain to you in detail.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I also didnot findout any nice and fine document. May be because it differ from landscape to landscape.

Also the release restrictions for Patches.

But this may be nice to read....

Note 832142 - Transport of XI objects - different Support Package levels