cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql server 2000 and 2005 - deattach and attach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm working with WAS7.00 SR2 and trying to move the database from sql 2000 to 2005. I'm familiar with th STM tool but as stated in note 683447 (in Database copy section):

"You cannot use this SAP tool to copy ABAP systems based on release 7.00 or later. If you want to copy such a system you must follow the instructions in the corresponding migration guide, which is available on SAP Service Marketplace at: service.sap.com/instguides."

So what are the following steps after attaching a "SQL2000" db to "SQL2005" ?

Please advice,

Dimitry Haritonov

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is this an ABAP-only system or is it ABAP+JAVA?

If the source system is ABAP+JAVA, then in addition to taking a database backup you will also have to perform a Java Content Export on the source system (using the NW04s sapinst from Master install DVD). Keep in mind that your server will be offline for the duration of the Java Content Export (it may be up to a few hours depending on the size of your Java content).

Once you have restored your source system database backup to the destination system, you will have to run the (NW04s sapinst from Master install DVD) again on the destination system and perform a Java Content Import. This will restore the Java engine configuration of the source system at the destination AND will give you the option to rename the database entries and Java Instance IDs accordingly on the destination system.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

The system copy option in SR2 IM and SR3 IM installs the SAP instance with executables,

creates the OS logins for the system you are installting, and also the necessay logins in the SQL server. Use the IM SR2 and SR3 for 7.00

STM tool can be used for releases 620,640,46C and use the instalaltion master for that

particluar release to create the sap instance after attaching the database to the instalaled SQL Server and then use STM tool to create the necessary SQL logins and permissions in the SQL server.

For both process above, then check the SQL server configuration note for your SQL release and set the configuration parameters.

Regards

Raj

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I didn't notice any information in the note that is relevant for my issue.

Please advice,

Dimitry Haritonov

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As system copy document follow the SAP note which is provide by Mr. Markus. ( for detach attach DB )

you are using SQL 2005 as target DB , configure SQL 2005 as described in following note

Note 879941 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2005

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what you are saying is that there isn't a tool like STM tfor WAS 7.00 and the

post activities should be made only by the note that is mentioned above (151603) ?

The note doesn't mention attaching the database when the source is sql 2000.

Are there any post activities for my case ?

Please advice,

Dimitry Haritonov

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you have two option for System copy based on SQL serer.

method 1

according to note Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server you can not use this tool for WebAs 700 to copy pure Java system or ABAP system

but you can use this tool for copying DB.

after copying DB you need to install SAP System for existing DB based on SQL server.

method 2

perform all activities manually .

detach/attach DB according note 151603 :Copying an SQL Server database (homogeneous system copy)

then perform follow up activities Step 8: Follow-up procedure

also check 551915 - R/3 won't start after database restore or database copy

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

finally a relevant answer.

thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding.

*I hope that you are right

Best regards,

Dimitry Haritonov

Edited by: Dimitry Haritonov on Jun 17, 2008 10:34 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry my mistake.

correction in method 1

method 1

according to note Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server you can not use this tool for WebAs 700 to copy pure Java system or ABAP system

after copying DB on target server ( by attach/detach or backup restore)

perform follow up activities Step 8: Follow-up procedure described in Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

the above activities is perform by sap tools by running it.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok. So I can't use it on databases that are run by WAS 7.00 and instead of STM I need to do manual work that is described in 151603 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes , i was used this tool for ECC 5.0 which is based on WebAS 640.

For ECC 6.0 I think only manually post processing is possible. ( method 2)

ragards,

kaushal

Edited by: Kaushal Malavia on Jun 17, 2008 2:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

but in the note 551915 is written:

Using the SAP Tools for MS SQL Server described in note 683447. When you use these tools to perform the "Postprocessing" for the system migration (described in note 151603) you should not encounter such errors. This tool can be used repeatedly to correct configuration problems from manual actions for example.

So it is again linked to the STM ...

I still don't understand ...

Dimitry Haritonov

Edited by: Dimitry Haritonov on Jun 17, 2008 11:19 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I'm confused too due to statement in Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server

You cannot use this SAP tool to copy ABAP systems based on release 7.00 or later

I perform system copy for ECC 6.0 on SQL server many times but using manually post processing by reading this statement only.

so i have not much idea whether STM tools is working on WeAS 700 or not.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is working, I have tested it more than ten times but maybe there are missing activities

that the tool doesn't do.

I'm trying to understand what to do, using the tool is not supported by SAP ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i think so it is working for pure ABAP system only as you are tested it.

I'm trying to understand what to do, using the tool is not supported by SAP ...

Yes I agree with you, as per SAP Note using SAP tool on WEBAS 700 is not supported.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I tested it for pure ABAP.

Please update this thread if you'll have new information. me as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sure , I have one test system of ECC 6.0 based on SQL server , I will try to use STM tool for system copy post processing ( this weekend) and share my experience in this thread.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It will work but the question is if the tool completely does the "follow-up activities".

However, I got an answer from SAP that note 799058 should solve my confusion.

in HOMOGENEOUS SYSTEM COPY TO MS SQL SERVER 2005 section, stated:

If you use SAP NetWeaver 2004s (7.0) or higher, there is an SAPinst option to perform migration steps. Only use this option, if the basis release of your source system is also 7.0.

When I opened my sapinst (nw04s SR2) in the system copy section I didn't find any relevant options for follow up activities after the attach.

Any ideas ?

Best Regards,

Dimitry Haritonov

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

don't run sapinst.exe from nw04s SR2 master or ERP2005 SR2 master

it is asking to run sapinst.exe after extracting saptool.zip

check following step

9. Download the zipfile that includes the SAP tools for MS SQL Server from SAP Service Marketplace. Extract it to a local (empty) folder on the central instance server. Run sapinst.exe, and choose "Database Copy". This option performs the required post-upgrade steps for all SAP products running on SQL Server 2005.

it that means we can use STM tools for Pure ABAP system based on WebAS 700 ??!!!!!!

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

the step you are reffering to is for :

For basis releases 4.6C, 6.20 or 6.40 perform the following steps:

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

yes you are right it is for upto 6.40 only.

As per SAP note 799058

If you use SAP NetWeaver 2004s (7.0) or higher, there is an SAPinst option to perform migration steps. Only use this option, if the basis release of your source system is also 7.0.

I don't find any option in SR2 master DVD.

might be new installation master contain it (i.e SR3 or SR4) but you can not use it not 32 bit windows it is for 64 bit only.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've found the system copy guide for NW04sSR2

https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700006457672006E.pdf

and in the SQL server section mentioned:(page 37)

On the SAPinst screen SAP System > Database make sure to select Homogeneous System Copy (MS SQL Server-specific: Detach/Attach or Backup).

I didn't find it in the sapinst...

Dimitry Haritonov

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes it is within SR2

run sapinst.exe -> SAP ERP 2005 Support Release 2 -> Additional Software Life-Cycle Tasks -> System Copy ->MS SQL Server -> Target System -> Based on AS ABAP -> Central System Installation

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

so what does it do ?

did you try it ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i perform system copy using this option only.

following is steps.

1) first perform DB copy on target system by attach/detach method as note 151603

2) perform follow up activities Step 8: Follow-up procedure

3) then run sapinst.exe -> SAP ERP 2005 Support Release 2 -> Additional Software Life-Cycle Tasks -> System Copy ->MS SQL Server -> Target System -> Based on AS ABAP -> Central System Installation

on target system to install SAP system for existing DB.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

so It brings us back to beginning ...

As I understand the sapinst option is not instead STM, it is the installation of the WAS. But what about

the configuration of the DATABASE ?

should it be made manualy as described in note 151603 or can we use STM ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes sapinst.exe is only for installing WAS on target system.

But what aboutthe configuration of the DATABASE ?

should it be made manualy as described in note 151603 or can we use STM ?

-> yes perform steps 8 follow up activities manually before executing sapinst

use of STM is still question!! (might be work, not sure )

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear kaushal,

Any updates on the issue ?

Dimitry Haritonov

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

STM tools on WebAs 700 is not working.

so i conclude that only manually post processing is possible as described above.

regards,

kaushal