cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Item Type?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am unable to figure out the exact significance of Item type parameter in the Item Category definition. I understand that it has got some effect on the delivery cycle.

-

The help shows the following explanation

Item type

A way of classifying items that require different kinds of processing by the system.

Use

The system processes items that refer to a specific material differently than items that do not refer to a material. For example, text items do not require processing for pricing, taxes, and weight calculations.

-

Can anyone explain the exact importance.

Thanks & Regards,

Karthik.

Edited by: KARTHIK KRISHNAN on Jun 16, 2008 1:37 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member396676
Contributor

Hi,

Item type decides how item category behaves in sales document.

Item category controls pricing,billing,schedule lines allowed or not,packing etc...in sales documents.

There are different item types -Standard item,Value item,Text item,Packing item and more.

On the basis of item type you have maintained in item category system triggers subsequent function and check for the same.For example Standard item is delivery relevant and decides schedule line other delivery related functions and also calculate weight/volume of the item,while text item is does not calculate weight/volume of the item in order.

Thanks,

Vrajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vrajesh,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain why we can create only one delivery in case we select Value Item in the Item type. Even if we do partial delivery the system sets document complete status in the sales order.

Thanks and Regards,

Karthik.

former_member396676
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check in item category confi. T-code VoV7.

In case of completion rule please select option other than A.

Thanks,

Vrajesh

former_member204513
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Karthik,

Item type represents category of the Material i.e item in the sales order processing.

For example:- For standard item we need to have price and we need to generate billing for that item.

If you take Text item this item will not relevant for price as well as billing.

If you take Packing item it should not have price system should not calculate price to this item.

Through this field selection system will know whether it is standard item or Text item Or Packaing item.

I hope it will clear for you,

Regards,

Murali.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

No satisfactory replies.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Regards,

Karthik