cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wbs element and net work

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gurus

wbs element and net work both are cost object. can i know what is the relation between the wbs element and net work.

and one more question is:- when ever u create a activity under one wbs element, net work hearder was automatically created under wbs .

regards

prasanthi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

WBS is used for planning: Cost planning, budgeting etc

Network is used for execution: Actual cost booking

New network gets created only in case of activity assigned network. In header assigned network, there is only 1 network throughout the project.

Regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ansar_shaikh2
Contributor
0 Kudos

WBS is a hierarchical model of the tasks to be performed in the project. It provides overview of the project & forms basis for the project organization & cordination. It shows work, time & money spent on the project. You can use it to plan dates & costs & aloocate budget. WBS can be displayed acc to Phase, Function & Object. Individual tasks required to carry out the project is called WBS element.

Network describes project processing. Thus the network contains intructions on how to carry out the activities in a specific way, in a specific order & in a specific time period. Network has the same structure that as of production order or work order or maintenance order. Main elements of network are activities & relationships. It forms the basis for planning, analyzing & monitoring time shecdules, costs & resources.

hope this will help u to understand the diffrence between WBS & NETWORK

Regards

ANSAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A work breakdown structure organizes a project in the form of a hierarchy, and so map the structure of the project.Work breakdown structures consist of work breakdown structure elements (WBS elements) that are arranged at various levels to produce a hierarchical model of the project activities to be carried out. Each individual WBS element can act as a controlling object in which you can plan and monitor costs, revenues, payments, budgets, and dates.

Networks are used to represent the individual project activities together with their

logical relationships, in other words, the flow of the project. The individual tasks in the project are mapped as activities in a network.

I hope the differnce will be clear if not let me know so that I can explain with an example.

Regards

Sneha

Edited by: Snehashree Mahasuar on Jun 17, 2008 12:11 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Snehashree Mahasuar

thanqu for ur help, can u give a clear eaample for this.

thanks n regards

prasanthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

is it possible to maintain more than one network under one wbs.

thanks n regards

prasanthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes it is possible to create more than one network under a wbs.