cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

material availability date

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

This is a question on relationship between availability check and transportation scheduling.

How does system determine material availability date when creating sales order? can you support with an example so that it could be easier to understand.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you create an order, the system can determine the required material availability date based on the delivery date requested by the customer. The goods to be delivered must be available for shipping at this point in time.

Scheduling takes into account the following times:

Transit time: Time required in order to ship a delivery to the ship-to party

Loading time: Time required for loading the goods

Pick/pack time: Time required for picking, packing

Transportation lead time: Time required for organizing the transportation

Next, the system performs backward scheduling in the order. If the result is a date in the past, the system automatically performs forward scheduling, which requires the confirmation of a new requested delivery date. The same happens if the material is not available by the material availability date.

For example let us take transit time as 2 days; loading time as 1 day; pick pack time as 1 day;transportation lead time as 1 day.

Customer calls and confirms an order and indicates delivery date as 20th June. Now system does backward scheduling from requested delivery date 20th June

Requested delivery date - transit time 2 days = Goods issue date (18th June)

Goods issue date - load time of 1 day = Loading date (17th June)

Loading date - transportation lead time of 1 day = 16th June

Loading date - pick/pack time of 1 day = 16 June.

As per example above, material should be available on 16th June so that delivery can be confirmed to customer.

If the system finds that material is not available on 16th June as per availability checks then it does forward scheduling described in manner above and projects earliest possible date for delivery.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kamesh,

Thanks for replying and giving detailed note.

What would happen if availability check says material is not available on 16th June but determines available date as 19th June.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I mentioned in my reply, the system automatically performs forward scheduling, which requires the confirmation of a new requested delivery date.

Loading date as 20th June ( pick/pack time of 1 day + Material availability date 19th June).

Loading date as 20th June (transportation lead time of 1 day + Material availability date 19th June).

Goods issue date as 23th June (loading date + loading time of 1 day ) I am assuming shipping point calendar has holidays on Saturday and Sunday.

Delivery date as 25th June (transit time 2 days + Goods issue date).

So, the new delivery date for customer would be 25th June.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks again.

In above example loading date was same because transportation lead time & pick pack time was 1 day.

What would happen if they are different let's say transportation lead time as 2 days and pick pack time as 1 day?

What date would be the loading date?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pick pack starts from material availability date i.e. 19th June

Transportation planning starts from material availability date i.e. 19th June.

So as per your latest situation

Material is ready to load on 20th June (material availability date + pick pack time of 1 day)

Transportation is available on 23th June since it takes 2 days to arrange transport from material availability date. I am assuming Saturday and Sunday are holidays and hence ignoring 21st June & 22nd June.

So loading date would be 23th June as without transport you cannot load material.

From 23rd June system calculates new goods issue date and new delivery date.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All:

I am getting route determination to work and the route is coming in but the schedule line is not backwards scheduling. I have introduced a new material type and new item category at the VBAP and VBEP level. I am assuming there is some configuration somewhere that makes the schedule line relevant for transportation planning. Again the route is coming in but all dates PGI etc. equal the delivery date.

Please advise,

Jeremy

Answers (0)