cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM36/37: Specification "After Job" does not work for Daily "periodcity"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I reviewed http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/20/2d513897110872e10000009b38f889/content.htm, which states what I am trying to do should work, but it does not.

Here's the deal:

1. I have two jobs: "A" and "B".

2. "A" runs Daily.

3. I set-up job "B" to run "After job" "A" in my SM36 definition.

Job "B" will run the next day, but never runs again after that even though job "A" continues to run "Daily" as it should.

Further info:

1. We have "Event-triggered" jobs that run fine, but the "After Job" designation doesn't seem to work ongoingly.

2. I can review both jobs "A" and "B" for any "Predecessor" or "Successor" jobs, and, the first jobs to run after the initial set-up DO reference each other (in other words, let's say I schedule job "B" to run "After job" "A" on Tuesday. After Tuesday's run, Job "A" sees job "B" as it's "Successor" job and job "B" sees job "A" as it's "Predecessor" job), but the definition doesn't last into the next day ONLY FOR JOB "B" (as I mentioned, job "A" always runs fine).

3. I can't set the "periodcity" for job "B" because, once I flag it to run "After Job" "A", the "period" optiosn disappear.

4. One final tidbit: the variant for job "B" has a "key date" specified so the date is dynamic for each day the job runs. I can set up job "B" to run "Daily" with this variant and it runs fine, but I wanted it to run AFTER job "A" so it never runs if job "A" doesn't run. (At this point, it's becoming a matter of principal!)

Here's my question:

Why won't job "B" continue to run "Daily" after job "A" (a "Daily" job) runs?

Thanks in advance,

Lara

Edited by: Lara Ringness on Jun 12, 2008 7:56 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As mentioned in the link you specify under Job Start Conditions, After Job:

Note: Jobs scheduled to start when a preceding job completes cannot be specified as "Periodic jobs"

What you are looking for can be solved by creating one single job with several steps and schedule that job as periodic.