cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change <SID> on a SAP System with Maxdb ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've tryed to migrate /clone a productive system from physical to virtual for testing, and it went OK.

Now, i've done the same to another physical machine and SAP 4.6C r3 goes up,as well as the database MaxDB 7.5 on the new machine.

but now i have two problems:

First, the license key: i have to request a new one. i believe that i can do it using https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/licensekey

Second: the SID is the same, as i have clone the system from one side to another. Same OS, same kernel, etc etc etc.

In order to achieve the possibility to transform the new cloned system in a DEV system for my SAP landscape, i must rename the <sid> of my SAP.

I've changed already the SAPSYSTEMNAME = PRD to SAPSYSTEMNAME = DEV, created a new user like "devadm" renamed the directories where i could find "prd" to "dev" and even in the /home/<sid>adm files i've changed everything from PRD to DEV.

However, this have not worked for me. As that did not worked out, made the "cloning" again. And now i' again with the problem of entering the new license key ( i believe i can request it via that webpage mention above) and changing the <sid> of the system.

Is there any sap not where i can see how to change the <sid> / SAPSYSTEMNAME ?

Thank you

my system is a RHEL5 with MaxDB 7.5 64 bits

Filipe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Filipe,

afaik the SID of a SAP instance cannot be changed later on.

But this is not a db-topic - so you're basically asking the wrong people here in the forum.

Perhabs is more suited for this question.

Concerning the licensekey : yes, you will need a new one if you change the hardware or db platform.

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Filipe,

SAP note 604680 describe how to rename DB instance

for renaming SID of SAP instance I only found sap note 11692 which says you shoud reinstall system with the new SID and restore database

regards

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe I should not ask for a new license key without solving the <sid> problem.

thank you,

filipe