cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII 11.5 used as kiosk

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an irpt that sits on a kiosk pc displaying data for 60 mfg lines. The data refreshes periodically and it allows an operator to walk up to the pc, look at their sample checks and print out a label by double clicking their sample checks. A problem that I have found is there is a need to reprint the labels. Currently, I have the irpt to only accept one label per sample checked. Since the nature of the data affects the outcome of their product, we only want set up men or foremen to have the ability to reprint these labels if necessary. Another problem I noticed was the printing of the labels. I wanted a smooth fully automatic method to print labels. What this means is the operator walks up to the pc double clicks his sample and the label prints. If you use IE, javascript does not have the functionality to eliminate the print dialog box and it potentially could cause problems for this system. I have since solved this problem by using a reputable kiosk software that allows the printing dialog boxes to be hidden. Everything, so far, is going smooth except the reprinting of the labels. I can not simple place this irpt on a foreman's computer because it will not print correctly. I have to use the irpt that is on the kiosk.

My question is how can I enforce security on the kiosk when a label needs to be reprinted? I am still on version 11.5 and I know I could simply create a user for the set up people and the foremans to use, but if we ever upgrade to 12.0, we would have a headache. So I am thinking maybe if there is a way to force a log out of MII prior to the administrative screen and after X amount of time of inactivity it would log out to go to the kiosk screen. Can I force a log out of MII and how do I do this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure if you can force a logout (probably you can) but a crude way would be to use JS and auto close the browser window after some inactivity period and immediately doing a window.open() for "Relogin.jsp".

Have never tried this but I guess it should work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know you can do that, but I still need to enforce the log out because a person with some authority must log in to the reprint screen.

0 Kudos

Remote desktop from the setup/foreman's workstation? That would be transparent to 11.5/12.0. And allow the foreman to log into a separate instance running on the machine or possibly a similar irpt with additional functionality built in. A bit crude, but it would work. I will ponder and see if I can come up with something more elegant.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't agree that this is a viable solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Essentially that is what is going to happen.

The original IRPT screen would close and the Relogin.jsp would open up the MII Login screen.

Isin't that what you wanted , unless I didn't understand this correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I guess I need to test it first.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just call the relogin.jsp page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!! I guess I got confused thinking this was in the inetpub directory when I should have been looking in the Servlet directory. I am thinking that I need to create a predefined Relogin.jsp. I would like to call the relogin.jsp but when the user types in his username and password, it takes him to the correct irpt and not to the MII homepage. Which jsp and/or irpts (htm) should I be looking at to modify so this works for me?

Answers (0)