cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of IFrame

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using IFrame in Web Dynpro project. Source property of the IFrame is set to URL of another web dynpro application.I am facing four problems

1. To pass parameter to second application, I am appending it to URL (get method). This is working fine as long as there is no SPACE (" ") in the parameter passed, but if I passed a string containing SPACE, I get invalid URL exception. Strange part is, when I copy-paste URL mentioned in exception chain on browser window, it works fine.

2. If I make any change in 2nd application and navigate to first by making IFrame invisible and 1st application UI Elements visible and then again navigate to second application unsaved changes in 2nd application are lost.

I think , when IFrame is made visible the URL is refreshed.

3.Size of second application is not fixed and may very depending on user input. In such case, instead of expanding iFrame , scrollbar is displayed

4. Performance of iframe is bad. It take some time to load URL to IFrame, even if I am navigating to application 2nd time. For 2-3 seconds , only blank iFrame is displayed and then 2nd application is displayed.Any way to improve the performance? Can I use some caching mechanism is available ?

Need your help.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Apurva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any way to solve these issues? especially improving the performance?

Regards,

Apurva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Armin mentioned please dont use it, Take him seriously he knows that component much better than any one in SAP.

Regards

Ayyapparaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you all for the reply.

Currently both projects - project1 & project2 are local projects, so I cant directly use one project view in other.

I tried portal navigation but it fails as application1 is URL iview & is not in portal. I also tried navigation using exit plug but got exception - "Navigation with exit plug cannot be used in portal. Use portal navigation instead".

Finally, I tried using IFrame , but facing so many problems with it.

As per the suggetion , I used URL encoding and that solved the first problem, but other problems still exist.

Regards,

Apurva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just don't do that. The IFrame is not usable for integrating different WD applications inside a page. Use Portal iViews instead.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aurva,

have you had a look at the ViewContainerUIElement? If you have access to the other WebDynpro's code you could expose the relevant component in a public part and use it inside the other app.

Kind regards

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. To pass parameter to second application, I am appending it to URL (get method). This is working fine as long as there is no SPACE (" ") in the parameter passed, but if I passed a string containing SPACE, I get invalid URL exception. Strange part is, when I copy-paste URL mentioned in exception chain on browser window, it works fine.

You need to use urlencoding

2. If I make any change in 2nd application and navigate to first by making IFrame invisible and 1st application UI Elements visible and then again navigate to second application unsaved changes in 2nd application are lost.

I think , when IFrame is made visible the URL is refreshed.

Are they mapped to any context? Is this from a different DC?

4. Performance of iframe is bad. It take some time to load URL to IFrame, even if I am navigating to application 2nd time. For 2-3 seconds , only blank iFrame is displayed and then 2nd application is displayed.Any way to improve the performance? Can I use some caching mechanism is available ?

That is the reason why SAP had depricated IFRAME and request to use iviews.

Regards

Ayyapparaj