SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nightly batch ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey guys....This is my first project in utilities. I'm a basis admin who has been told to get info about using Job commander / job containers for nightly batch and also explore other alternatives. What i understand till now is that job commander is used because we cannot schedule mass activities through regular back. jobs.

So, just wondering how many people really use job containers / job commander in utilities. So, what do you guys use for nightly batch in your company ? for meter read upload, billing, invoicing, bill print etc...

Are there any other alternatives that work better than this job commander thing ? Please advise, I am totally confused right now.

If you use, job containers, please advise on the role of a basis guy in setting this up vs the role of a functional person.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

We use 'job commander' for dunning, mass payment run, correspondence, charge offs, and certain accounting reports.

We do not use it for billing, invoicing, or meter reading.

'Job commander' did not exist when we first went live with CCS (we went live with version 1.1B in 1999).

We have converted some over to job commander - but we have not done all of them.

Job commander is easy to use and really very slick in how it works.

We do not have basis people set it up - rather we have technical people in the IT department do it.

The IT department is in charge of setting up all jobs to run for CCS.

These are the same people that support CCS if something goes wrong.

Setting up jobs without job commander and with both have pros and conns.

The biggest con to some of the job commander jobs is it sometimes locks and entire range of business partners while it is working - rather than locking job the partner it is working on at the time it may lock thousands of them.

It is easy to change how many threads and target servers in job commander - where creating more jobs outside of it is not difficult - but not as easy.

If 'job commander' had been available when we went live I am sure all of our mass runs that were available to do in 'job commander' we would have done them that way.

We just have not taken the time to convert them.

Hopefully this helps.

Scott Overmeyer