cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report abuse against a specific user instead of just individual posts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to implement a "Report Abuse" link against users instead of just individual postings? It would help in some places to stop people who post vast numbers of interview questions or such like across the forums.

Gareth.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

Yes, that would be usefull, perhaps.

When I notice such things (based on a single post) then I investigate the other posts, and the posters of those other posts and look for some symptoms which are familiar or new (they are very creative, sometimes!).

Often, the "stupid question" user ID is not the real abuser, and removing the posts also removes the "forensic" (for lack of a better word...) trails.

From my experiences, the inquisition does not only look at a single reported abuse. And that is a good thing.

Cheers,

Julius

PS: What would be very usefull, is a flag for the specific post in a thread for others to see that someone has reported it as an abuse post. That willl help the 5 clicks required from independent viewers opinion to report an abuse.

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Jun 11, 2008 8:40 PM

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

PS: What would be very usefull, is a flag for the specific post in a thread for others to see that someone has reported it as an abuse post. That willl help the 5 clicks required from independent viewers opinion to report an abuse.

Hmmmm....

Sometimes you do not want to alert the reportee to the fact that they have been reported.

Also, people may see it's been reported and no longer bother. I only found out about the 5 reports rule here in the CC so I don't think this is widely known.

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is also true. There are other more efficient ways than alerting everybody.

PS: You should start billing me for the moderator consulting. Your previsious advise is working very nicely...

Kind regards,

Julius

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Took me half a day to figure out what you meant...

At least I think what I remember was a discussion about not just deleting email addresses....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yip, that's the one. It really worked and helped a lot!

The last case I can remember was in about February March...

(touch wood again)

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Jun 12, 2008 6:09 PM

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's great to hear!

That kind of feedback is worth much more than points - even if it had nothing to do with answering an SAP question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Indeed, the spirit of that thread is often represented in the internal moderator forum (because it works) and there is also a link to the thread itself. It seems to be catching on.

Although most are deleted (very, very seldom required in my area now: Thanks to you, I remove the seed of the thought ), there is also an internal forum for "quarantined" things. I remember, way back then in March '08... ...there once was a bloke who not only distributed the stuff, but had a site for it to charge for the stuff... SAP Legal zapped him, and the target links themselves were gone within an hour after having reported it...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, now you can see it for yourself

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Indeed!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have read and browsed through SDN and it is clearly evident that the volume of posts herein are redundant and genuine concerns are left unresolved. Moreover, the time spent in searching is a complete waste.

I have been a member of a few technical forums and would like to contribute my suggesstion:

1. SDN should be largely moderated and instant posting into the forum need not be allowed.

Experts / moderators in respective areas of the forum should actually decide if a post is genuine or it is a point stealer. I am not sure if this is in practice so please disregard if i am iterating.

2. The points system need not be a part of forum questions anymore as it is clearly misused (answers are either links or huge codes with no explanation????? we have google, thank you !!! ), only articles, blogs n wiki writers should actually be credited with points for their contribution.

Perhaps my approach is at a very root level and needs amendments which are not easy but i feel, to get meaningful solutions some changes needs to be made else the very essence of sdn is lost.

well when u gotta kick ass.... its better to JUST DO IT.

Thank you guys

Shubhajit Chakraborty.