cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

table VBAK

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello everyone,

what does field client do in this table, to be honest i am not very clear on the subject of table, i understand all the data from the fields go and sit in these table, i mean i head that statment , but i am trying hard to understand it, can someone please put some light on Tables

thanks

Dilip

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dilip krishnan

There are two types of tables in the R/3 database: client-dependent and client-independent. A table is client-dependent if the first field is of type CLNT. The length will always be 3; and by convention, this field is named mandt. If the first field is not of type CLNT, the table is client independent.

The user master records (containing R/3 user IDs) are client-dependent. Therefore, to gain access to a client, the system administrator must create a new user ID for you within that client

A Client dependent table has the first field as client i.e. field with data type as MANDT.

A Client independent table does not have a field for client.

Hence if a server has 3 clients 100, 200 and 300 - then in a client dependent table, each client can have completely different entries.

However in a client independent table, the entries would be cross-client i.e. same.

Client Dependent Table:-

1>They have field called MANDT in this type of table which contains the client no.

2>In this type of table for different client the data set can be different.

Client Independent Table:-

1> They dont have that MANDT field in this type of table

2>This Table is called cross client table means for all the clients they have the same entries in the table.

In SAP, highest level of organisation structure is client which you are entering at the time of log-in itself.

In most of the tables are client dependant where first column is client (MANDT) by default and entry in that field is complusory. so that is client dependant table.

There are few tables which are client independents, effect of any change in this table will affect all the clients. In that table client field is not there.

Whenever you making any change in value of such table, system will give you message that "this is client independance, whether you want to change it".

only data i.e the entries in the table are client independent or dependent depending on the field mandt

structures of tables are always client independent if u created one table structure in one client u can see that in all other clients of that server

Regards,

Viveks

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

To answer your point, All the information that we feed are stored in database tables. This is the essence of Relational databases. Whenever we execute a transaction, the program fetches the data from these tables and stores the result in the same or some other table. So the sequence goes on like that.

behind any set of data, to put it plainly is a table which stores it in a logical way. This is done to minimise the space and also to ensure that we can extract it with the minimum of effort.

regds

Jude

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

In any table if you find the field Client - then it is a client dependant data. Otherwise a client independent data.

Thanks,

Ravi

chetan_b
Active Contributor
0 Kudos