Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout when calling a RFC

inigo_sacramento
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi.

I'm making some test with XI. I'm sending a 1000 row internal table to a RFC.

i get the next error :

com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.MessageExpiredException: Message 43a00c36-3e8b-0a96-e100-0000c0a87e04(INBOUND) expired

I think is like a timeout. I have changed in the integration engine the HTTP Timeout and set to 800.

Do i have to change something else?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi inigo,

Check this note 730870 - question no 14 for RFC timeout setting.

Q 14: During a synchronous RFC call to the RfcAdapter (sender channel) the error message "call to messaging system failed: com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.MessageExpiredException" comes up. For receiver channels a similar error messages is shown. What does this mean and what could be done about it?

A: At the beginning of a synchronous RFC call the RfcAdapter (sender channel) builds up the XI request-message and will send this to the Adapter Engine with a timeout. After this it will wait till the response-message reaches or the timeout expires. In case of timeout the exception named above is thrown. The timeout used by RfcAdapter for synchronous calls can be configured for the whole RfcAdapter as a property of the RfcAdapter J2EE Service. To change it's value open the service properties sheet like described in Q3 and change the value of "syncMessageDeliveryTimeoutMsec". Notice that this value is specified in milliseconds. After changing the property store the properties by clicking the save-button (disk symbol) on top of the page.

If a similar error messages is shown for a receiver channel the timeout setting is done in the inbound XI-Adapter of the Adapter Engine and not via the above described setting in the RFC-Adapter. The value of xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default from J2EE Service 'SAP XI Adapter: XI' is used in this case. Note 791379 will explain this in detail.

Regards

Anand

Message was edited by: Anand Torgal

inigo_sacramento
Participant
0 Kudos

How can i access J2EE Engine Visual Administrator?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi inigo,

Usually developers will not have access to J2EE visual administrator. Please check the same with your XI admin.

Have look at this thread...

Regards

Anand

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>>> To change it's value open the service properties sheet like described in Q3 and change the value of "syncMessageDeliveryTimeoutMsec". Notice that this value is specified in milliseconds. After changing the property store the properties by clicking the save-button (disk symbol) on top of the page.

I'd propose not to change this

insted use async RFC calls (you can correlate them)

this timeout is set for 30 seconds because

sync RFC calls are supposed to be short

the same goes for

xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default

use acync calls with correlation

then no timeouts will appear

increasing timeout values is not the best option

(SAP tells not to do that)

Regards,

michal

Answers (0)