cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying exploded EAR in WAS 6.40

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is exploded EAR deployment possible and how?

During development and/or debugging it takes very long time for me to redeploy EAR.

P.S. I hate to compare, but Oracle, BEA and IBM all have that option.

Thanks.

-Yuri

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yuri,

Deploy Service in J2EE Engine provides single file update capabilities. It definitely saves time and I guess will be useful to you. For more information, please, consider the relevant documentation at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/13/a3bb3eff62847ae10000000a114084/frameset.htm

(go to Administration Manual -> Server Administration -> SAP J2EE Engine Administration -> Deploy Service).

Hope this helps.

Zornitsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zornitsa,

Thank you for prompt reply.

I looked through the single file upload documentation but it doesn't sound like it works for us.

We don't have any JAR "mappings" required by single file uploader (by the way - what is this mapping for?). Also, we have some JARs at the root of EAR which single file uploader also doesn't support.

I think it's going to be a big issue for everybody since it makes development and bug fixing very slow.

Regards,

-Yuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yuri,

With the single file update function you can update single files only - such as class files, JSPs, and so on. Deploy Service also provides an update function, which you can use to update the archive files in an application. You can try this one too. Please, refer to the documentation for details.

Best regards, Zornitsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zornitsa,

I reviewed your suggestion, maybe I am missing something important but "Update" function in a Deploy service requires an EAR.

If "Update single file" works on the level of a class file - it's really bad, because we have many "internal" classes in our application which means that an actual class consists of multiple physical class files and their update is not possible. Also, it would really help if you could provide an example of how to fill in the required fields.

For example, I have an app.EAR which has three JARs in it part1.jar, part2.jar, part3.jar, web.WAR.

For simplicity sake part1.jar has main.class which was changed. main.class is used by both Web and EJBs.

How would you update either main.class or part1.jar using the Single File Update?

What would you put in the required fields of Single File Update dialog?

Thanks a lot for your effort,

-Yuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yuri,

Here are my suggestions about your example:

- First of all, you need to have the application already deployed on the server - I presume, you have that in mind, since we're talking about updating.

- You can't update the whole JAR using single file update, as I already mentioned before, but you can choose to update main.class in the relevant JAR. If you do that with the Visual Administrator, go to the runtime of Deploy Service, and choose Single File Update. The dialog provides a drop-down menu for almost anything you need to enter - you can choose the application name, and then the relevant module (in your example, part1.jar). For file name, you must specify the path to the modified main.class - you can do that using the browse button (...). You can choose the mapping from a drop-down menu as well. If it is empty, use the browse button - it updates the entries in the menu. The mapping is the name of the file deployed originally with the application. For example, if the main.class is in package myexamples.main in the JAR file, the mapping should be something like: myexamples/main/main.class. Finally, you must choose Add, and then Ok.

Note, however, that you can't use this function to add new files to the application. You can only update already existing files.

I hope I was able to shed some more light on this for you.

Best regards,

Zornitsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Zornitsa (what a beautiful name - if I am not mistaken in Russian it means "a spring lightning" ),

I tried your explanations but I am still not able to update a class file in the ROOT of EAR, that is not belonging to an EJB or servlet_jsp container.

It sounds like the Single File Update tool expects all shared JARs to be deployed in WEB-INF directory of servlet_jsp. But our EAR (which is J2EE 1.2 compliant) has them packaged in the root - basically they're located nor in EJB nor in WEB container, but in an EAR container.

Anyway, I look forward to a version of deploy update tool that would allow to update a JAR (not just a class or jsp) inside a deployed application.

Best regards,

-Yuri