cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfaces and Interface-Scenarios in Projects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

i noticed that there is a possibility to define interface-scenarios and interfaces in the solution directory. also, you can assign interfaces to business process steps there.

defining those interfaces you also have the posssibility to import such scenarios from projects. however, in a project i don´t find any possibilities to define interfaces. does anybody have a clue wether it is possible?

thank you in advance

arthur

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arthur,

Welcome to this usage ! It's been available from ST-SER version 700_2008_1 and I am glad to see a companion on this.

My current understanding is:

(1) Though it says you can import Scenario, it does not exactly mean you can import Business Scenario from say, a Project or anything like that. Instead, if you define an Interface Scenario properly in a given Solution, you can import it in any other Solution.

(2) I believe SAP has done a quick 'replication' of the traditional 3 layered structure (Scenario -> Process -> Process Step) to represent interfaces and have chosen to 'disable' the usual tabs on the right hand side other than Documentation.

So, I really do not read much from this structure - for instance, at Interface Step level, you can choose from only one or the two Logical Components you define at 'Interface' level (level 2). You cannot add a third Logical Component representing say, an FTP Server or any other intermediary layer.

I intend approaching like this:

1) Interface Scenario : Specify the broad names of the two systems that are being discussed (e.g. SAP -> Siebel, SAP -> Credit Card firm)

2) Define the Interface prevailing between those two systems; if you really want to include the intermediary systems like FTP servers, you'd have to split your Interface accordingly, one representing FTP as the destination and the other from FTP to whatever else

3) Define as many Interface Steps, as long as each of them has to happen in one of the two Logical Components only, and no other

The main utility I see from this functionality are:

(a) Maintain the list of Interfaces (level 2 entries) - sort of library

(b) Maintain documents against these on right side

(c) Assign these Interfaces (level 2 entries) between Business Process Steps, in Graphics, for 'completion' sake. I am not sure if mere allocation of Interfaces to Graphics is going to help Interface Monitoring. Most external systems will not deliver any metrics back to SAP and I am unsure how it's going to help monitor. But, that's a cause to worry about later. Now, I am focusing on (a) & (b)

Please do share your insights and approach.

Regards,

Srini

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Srini,

thank you a lot for your reply. It was very helpful. My understanding was basically the same you had, but I thought i might have missed a point.

With respect to the aproach I had two ideas:

1) The same you had.

2) Define an Interface Scenario for each Business Process Scenario and define interfaces that are relevant in this scenario.

My main problem in this regard is however, that there seems to be no possibility to define interfaces or interface-scenarios within a solution manager project. when i use the solution manager in projects i don´t give authorizations to the project team for anything but for the project. therefore it is always a problem to define interfaces within a project and interface-descriptions have to be made at business scenario level.

cheers

art

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arthur,

You are right; it seems like the whole idea of managing Interfaces is relegated to 'Solution' side.

Perhaps, this was with the assumption (by SAP) that more than even Business Processes, Interfaces have a cross-project usage, so relegated it to the 'Solutions' side, which is maintained continuously by SAP Competence Centre people from Client side, as opposed to partners/consultants.

The only meaningful link I can see is (if it is allowed for), to use the Interfaces defined in Solution in the Graphics Tab on Project side.

In my humble view, I wouldn't suggest using 'Business Scenario' names for Interface Scenarios - a given Interface may appear useful in more than one Business Scenario, so you may end up having to repeat the definition, for logical correctness sake.

Instead, it would be good to adopt a totally different 'speak' when listing Interfaces. For instance, if there are say 15 different Non-SAP systems that SAP will have to Interface with, we can perhaps create 15 Interface Scenario folders and name them:

SAP - Siebel

SAP - Credit Card X company

SAP - Business Directory System

SAP - .....

And within each of these 15 folders, define every Inbound and Outbound Interface that's possible between those two systems.

In other words, Interface Scenario as a folder merely 'aggregating' all interfaces between two given systems and nothing more meaningful. Luckily, it does not expect to specify all possible Logical Components within a Scenario, and you are free to define them at Interface level.

This (Solutions) being a view that for most part will be seen by SAP Support Team and not by Project Team, what matters to them is the body of all Interfaces and whether a given Interface between two systems work or not (and not as much as whether it works within a given Business Scenario).

Best regards,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi there,

cool approach. thank you for your insight.

i really appreciate your support.

cheers

art

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arthur,

It's been my pleasure as well and a hearty thanks for your generous reward points. It's been really encouraging.

Warm regards,

Srini