cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't connect universe designer to databases in the network

Former Member
0 Kudos

<p>Hi</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I&#39;ve got BOE XI running on Solaris 8 and I&#39;ve installed Universe Designer on my laptop.</p><p>I&#39;ve got 2 databases, one Informix 7.3, another Oracle 10g running in the network.</p><p>I have not configured or installed oracle or informix clients on my laptop. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>What are the steps for connecting to both of these databases?</p><p>Using the connection wizard in Designer I try to define a new universe connection to Oracle. </p><p>But how and where do I specify the hostname or service name for Oracle?</p><p>Same goes for Informix. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I can&#39;t find anything in the The Universe designer guide. documentation about these details. </p><p><br />Is there some other existing document that describes these steps? </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Hope someone can help</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>regards,</p><p>Henrik Bentel </p>

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

<p>HI Henrik:</p><p>I have not experience in Ofnromic or Oracle, but you have to have a middleware in place in order to connect to the database, meaning, you have to have ODBC connections in your latop with valid drivers for Informic or Oracle. Those two database should have a client set of driver to install in any PC that want to connect to those specific dataases.</p><p>That information is not in the The Universe designer guide, it should be in a guide Data Access guide or something alike. I hope it helps</p><p>Reinaldo Nunez</p>

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe you must install the clients before you can try to connect to the databases. I believe all the connectors use the clients. Do you see any JDBC or ODBC type connection interface there that you can use? Otherwise, how else would BOXI connect to the database?

When we install BOXI against Oracle 9i or 10g, we always install the client software, even when the database is on another machine.