cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to import CSV files into Crystal ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need a way to import CSV files into Crystal. NEed to create reports base don large CSV files, and format them and automate the process. Have not been able to figure out how to import data yet. What goo dis reports if you cant import data to create reports on ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Up front... I'm not claiming that this is the most eligant method to use but it will work.

It will work, that is, if you have MS Access available to you.

I'll assume that you are working in a networked environment, so your 1st step will be to find or create a network share where you have read, write, delete access.

Place your .csv file there and give it a sensible name.

Create an Access .mdb file in the same location.

Create a linked table in Access to to your .csv file. (Just follow the wizard when creating the link)

You can now simply make you Crystal connection to the Access file as normal.

You can swap out old.csv with new.csv, simply by saving the over the old file with the new.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks like this thread is dead, but it's something I am struggling with so I'm going to try.

I have some excel forms that I want to import into Crystal Reports. Right now there's a manual process in place to take the data in these forms and copy/paste them into a standard format in an excel spreadsheet that CR will accept. I would like to pull directly from the original excel sheet into CR. This quick and dirty method sounds like an option, but I do not have Access and the link in the second post is not found. Would anyone have any other solutions.

Thanks!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd recommend that you post this query to the Crystal Reports Design forum. See if they can help you do this in the CR designer. If you then need to do this at runtime, pattern your self on how you need to do it in the designer. If you run into issue while developing the app, post any particulars and details to the correct form (.NET or Java).

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Done!

Thanks!

robert_horne
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Crystal Reports imports data from CSV files by using Access/Excel option of the data source dialog box. Click on it and then on the file type, at the bottom will be listed Text files. Use that to import data from you a CSV file.

<a href="/blog/10">Rob&#39;s blog - http://diamond.businessobjects.com/robhorne</a>;