Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPAR - LOGICAL PARTITION QUESTION -

0 Kudos

Hello SDN Experts.

LPAR (LOGICAL PARTITION QUESTION)

Our current Production Environment is running in Distributed Installation on

IBM System P5 570 Servers AIX ver 5.2, each node is running two Applications: SAP ERP 2005 SR1 (ABAP + JAVA) and CSS. (Customer Service System)

Node One

u2022 SAP Application (Central Instance, Central Services)

u2022 Oracle 9i Instance for CSS Application.

Node Two.

u2022 Oracle 10G Instance for SAP Application

u2022 CSS Application.

To improve performance we are planning to create a new LPAR for SAP.

According to the IBM HW Partner LPAR is logically isolated with different HW/SW resource(CPU/Memory /Disk resource, IP/hostname/mount point)...

Question:

I have this two possible solutions to copy SAP instances (app + db) to new LPAR, can I apply SCENARIO 2, which in my opinion is easier than SCENARIO 1.

SCENARIO 1.

In order to migrate application and database instances to the new LPAR do I need to follow the procedure explained in the guide:

(*) System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 2004s SR1 ABAP+Java Document version: 1.1 ‒ 08/18/2006

SCENARIO 2.

After create all file systems (required in AIX) to copy data from Applications and Database Instances to their respective LPARs and change the ip address and hostnames in parameter files according to the following SAP Notes:

Note 8307 - Changing host name on R3 host

Note 403708 - Changing an IP address

Which is the best scenario SAP recommends in this case ?

Thanks for your comments.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please don´t duplicate posts - this confuses people.

Markus

0 Kudos

Hello Markus.

This question is only of LPAR, could you please provide your comments.

Thanks.

AMCM.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If your system is a combined ABAP + Java instance you can´t manually change the hostname. It´s not only those places that are listed in that note but much more, partially on filesystems in .properties files, partially in the database.

Doing that manually may work but since the process is not documented anywhere and since it depends on the applications running on top of the J2EE instance it´s not supported.

For ABAP + Java instances you must use the "sapinst-way" to get support in case of problems.

See note 757692 - Changing the hostname for J2EE Engine 6.40/7.0 installation

Markus

0 Kudos

Hello Mark.

When you are saying:

For ABAP + Java instances you must use the "sapinst-way" to get support in case of problems.

It means the best way is to work with System Copy from the current LPAR to new LPAR ?

Thanks.

AMCM.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> For ABAP + Java instances you must use the "sapinst-way" to get support in case of problems.

> It means the best way is to work with System Copy from the current LPAR to new LPAR ?

yes - and the only supported one.

Markus