cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

common distribution channel and divisions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I went through this forum for answer to common distribution channel and divisions and there are conflicting answers.

could someone explain why we should use this functionality? what if I don't use it.

thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You would be using common distribution channel & divisions functionality only for sharing Master data.

If there is no sharing of Master data, then common distribution channel & division is not applicable.

Let's say you have customer records, material master records, pricing records for Distribution channel 10.

Now you defined two more Dist. Channels 20 & 30 who also deal with same products, customers(same as Dist channel 10) and there is no difference in the customers details when they purchase through one or the other.

If you are creating customer, material records for 20 & 30 Dist channel, once again, you would be creating a multiple of 3 views of customer master and material master records.

Imagine time involved for data maintenance let's say change in fax number. You have to go into each master record for this customer and change details everywhere.

So, what you would be doing is create customer master records, material master records in one of the distribution channels i.e. 10. Then assign the other distribution channels i.e. 20 & 30 as common distribution channels. In case you have to make some changes to a record, you change only in record maintained in Distribution channel 10.

Similar is the case with Divisions.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member217082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi simon

If you maintain common distribution and divisions , it minimizes the work as you maintain customer in one sales area and that customer will be applicable in all sales areas.

Regards

Srinath