cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why development system is considered as domain controller ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

SAP recommends Production system as domain controller .Resaon is PRD is secured and has more availability.

But ,Most of the customer systems development system is set as Domail controller.

My guess on this point is , Development system will get installed fisrt in landscape and while configuring the STMS we have to use this system as domain controller.Later this scenario is not changed.

Please let me know why development system is set as domain controller. I have see most of the customer systems are having DEV as domain controller. That's why I would like to know about this point.

Thanks in advance.

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi

To be specific, few clients do it, thinking of failover case. If your PRD system fails for some reason, it would effect the whole transport system if it is the domain controller.

While if they make DEV or QA as domain controller, this can be ruled out.

Again for QA, since it is assumed to be a copy of PRD system, and regularly experiences System refresh with PRD data, which would result in QA downtime, regularly. Which again is undesirable for a working transport system.

So, inspite of recommendation by SAP for PRD system as domain controller, client goes for DEV system as domain controller.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Regards

Rahul

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually when you run tcode for the system for the first time it will make the system as domain controller,

as the dev is the system which is installed first this would be the domain controller,but later you should change the domain controller to your production system once prd is up.

Regards,

Vamshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

In a landscape, due to frequent System copies etc QAS can be ruled out to be a domain controller and in a simple landscape, you either go with DEV or PRD.

Due to high availability SAP has suggested PRD systems which is releigiously followed by many clients, and as u have guessed, a few have their set up in DEV itself during their initial implementation. frankly, i dont have any special points to support DEV is a good option and PRD is not...both are equally good and functional....

In large landscapes, i have seen two domain controllers... DEV and PRD used to control transports.

Rgds,

Sri

Award points for helpful answers