cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Service: Document or RPC based, literal or encoded?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to create a web service out of a normal ABAP function module. I have found web service help pages @ SAP help, I also was able to create the web service via WS wizard. But, as far as I know web services (i.e. their WDSL definition) differ between document or RPC style, also between literal or encoded use.

Now, my question, how can I set these options when creating the web service?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, Matthias

PS: I have found this page, that describes it theoretically, but gives no practical solution to my problem:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c018da90-0201-0010-ed85-d714ff7b...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gaurav_modgil
Participant
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

thanks for this link. It has some nice info on how to create a WS from within SAP, but it does not answer my q

question. Where can I set, whether the WS

*) uses Document or RPC style, and

*) has literal or encoded use

If it's not possible to choose these options at WS creation for myself, it would at least be very helpful to find out what settings have been choosen automatically by the WS wizard.

Kind regards, Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi matthias,

the wsdl is created dynamically and the soap runtime on ABAP WAS understands both document and rpc.

to decide which kind of service you want to have you can pass ...&style=document/rpc... int the WSDL URL to get either a document style WSDL or a RPC one. the encoding is set implicitly as far as I know, and it is literal for document and (I guess) encoded for RPC (haven't checked the latter, but just try it once).

my 2 cents, anton

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthias,

Once you have created the Webservice from SAP, and try to generate the WSDL, it will prompt for the two options, whether you wanna download RPC style or Document Style.

try this way go to Transaction WSADMIN, select to Webservice you required click Webservice Home Page. select required option in the popup, default will be document style.

Venkat