cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with special characters like "u00F6" "u00E4" "u00FC"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we currently face some major problems with special characters like "ö" "ä" "ü". First I thought it is a SP02 specific problem but it still doesn't work with SP03.

When I start an import the import manager shows correct converted value. "ö"s "ä"s "ü"s are displayed correctly. But after I've done the import I look into the Data manager and I see instead of these characters charcaters like "̈". (note: the character should show a little square box - but the forum cannot desplay it)

How can I solve this problem?

Regards

Nico

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico

I had copied the special characters from your post and copied the same into one of field's converted value and imported, its reflecting exactly as I expected in the Datamanager. I am using SP03.

Now tell me how you are generating this special characters also let me know which repository as well as which field having this issue.

thanks

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

I somewhere read that this could be a database problem with unicode. But I am not familiar with that.

I use the vendor (content) repository. I import XML files via the XML Schema. The problem appears with name, street etc. I don't even want to convert the value. I just want to get the data in it's original form into my repository.

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico

Just try it out the following steps, hope it solves ur issue.

<b>To set one or more values back to their original values:</b>

1. In the Import Manager Source Values grid, select the values that you want to set back to their original values.

2. Right-click on one of the values and choose Set to Original Value from the context menu, or choose Values > Apply Value Conversion Filter > Set to Original Value from the main menu.

3. MDME sets each value back to its original value, which appears in black in the Source Values grid.

<b>NOTE : You can use the Set to Original Value filter only at the value-level and not at the field level.</b>

thanks

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

no that didn't work. The correct value appears in the import manager. The converted value is exactly the same as the source value field. So this looks fine. The problem only occurs when I then start the import and start the data manger.

So it's correclty shown in the import manager but has a false output in the repository which is visible in the data manager.

Any other suggestions?`

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I have exactly the same problem , but in my case the special characters are all displayed as squares in the data manager. According to me there might be a problem in the datamanager itself , on the datbase I could see the characters are stored correctly.

Does somebody have a solution for this ?

Christopher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

I face the same issue. I wanted to display the square here, but somehow the Forum was not able to display the strange character.

However I also looked into the database and didn't see any problems with the character. So I assume it is a probably a display problem of the data manager itself because the import manager shows the charcters correct.

I also tried it with different data manger versions. Always the same problems.

Any suggestions.

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

if you install MDM 5.5 SP3 above MDME, uninstall MDME and delete installation directory. After this delete all occurences of MDME in registry.

Reinstall MDM 5.5 SP3 with Arial Unicode MS fonts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dmitry,

I followed the steps you described but it still doesn't work. Somehow the data manager interpreters the characters wrong.

I took the following file form the Market Place 51031527.zip and installed all the necessary components.

What do you mean with "Reinstall MDM 5.5 SP3 with Arial Unicode MS fonts." ?

During the installation I didn't have the option to make a setting like "Arial Unicode MS fonts". Do I have to make that implicit somewhere?

Thanks for help

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

Arial Unicode MS is available in MS Office installation.

Follow the link below

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052558401033.aspx (Install the universal font for Unicode)

You need to install it for proper displaying.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dmitry,

the font is already installed. I have WinXP with MS Office 2003. I can choose it under the MS Word fonts. So this seems to be properly installed but the error must be related with that in some way.

Any other suggestion?

Do I have to tell MDM to use Arial Unicode MS somewhere?

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

check existence of Arial Unicode Mod font. It's installed

with MDM if Arial Unicode MS is set up. if it's not - reinstall MDM GUI clients - data manager, import manager.

And try to reimport/reenter entries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dmitry,

Arial Unicode Mod does not exist in the Fonts folder but Arial Unicode MS Standard(truType) does exist. So it was somehow not installed with my clients. I reinstalled all of them but still it does not exist. That explains it. Where can I get this font? Can I install it manually?

I appriciate your help.

Regards

Nico

P.S. PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you, Dmitry.

Message was edited by: Nicolas Fink

Answers (0)