cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Manager Question ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Import Manager question u2013 Initial Load

The question is, can we continue the import process for the remaining records in the file even if there are errors in some records?

Example: I have the lookup table called State_codes and the values are example NY,NJ, CA etc. The file I am loading to the main table has a new state code called u2018ILu2019 in some records and that is not there in the lookup table. During the value mapping and import process is there any way we can continue the process by writing those records in to the error log and that can be processed later. I can create those new state codes in to the lookup table by manually adding while doing value mapping but donu2019t want to do that.

Any help will be appreciated and will reward full points.

Edited by: J P on Jun 5, 2008 5:53 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am assuming that you have created the import map with a source file that did not have 'IL'. When the Import Server encounters the record with 'IL', following events happen:

1. Import server fails to find mapping information for 'IL' in the import map

2. It checks to see if 'Add to Destination' is configured in map. If yes, 'IL' is added to destination lookup table and the record is imported. If not, go to next step.

3. It checks for 'Default setting for Unmapped values'. If set, maps it according to the configuration and imports the record. (You can configure to map unpapped values to any specific value or to NULL)

4. If steps 2 and 3 fail to import the record, the record is isolated as a 'Value Exception'. The import process is not affected and continues to import further records. Such records can be located in the 'Value Exception' folder and imported malually or rejected.

Hope that helps. Reward points accordingly.

Regards,

Anoop Sahu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have these questions and sorry if these are very basic questions because I am new in the MDM area.

Manual Import - Manually mapping the fields and values in the import manager and load data manually.

Automatic import - Automate the import process by using the import server. In this case if any of the records are in error then it will be written in to the error log and later we can re-process these records.

So if my above assumptions are correct,

How do we configure the Import server for automatic import?. Where is the location of the error file? I did the field mapping, value mapping etc and the import Map is ready.

Anyone explains to me the steps for automatic import by using import server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JP

How do we configure the Import server for automatic import?.

define a port in console for auto import. assign the import map you have created to this port and Make processing type as Automatic for the port. If you are using xml files for import also mention the xml schema file in the port as well.

Next open the MDIS.ini file and check the user/password defined there. It should be same as defined in repository.

Next check if Import server is started and running. you are ready for automated import.:)

regards-

Ravi Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suggest you refer 'Import Manager Reference Guide' provided by SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JP,

How do we configure the Import server for automatic import?.

In order to import maps automatically, first of all u need to create Ports and 1 Remote System.

Each Port will be assigned to 1 Import map already saved.

If you are having a number of imports, create that many Ports.

Set the Port = Automatic.

Port Type = Inbound.

And when the Ready folder contains data, that will be reflected in the Port Tab as " Has Data".

Morevoer u will need to do some settings in the MDIS .ini file in the server level. You will have to set the time interval for importing 10 seconds is by default, you can set according to your convinience.

Also you will have to set a password for your specific repository in the MDIS .ini file so that the same password will be used in all 4 GUI 's.

Finally you will have to start the MDIS server, by right clicking -> start.

Doing these many setting will be sufficient for you to do automatic importing.

See these links:

Thanks

Narendra

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JP,

Firstly are you doing Manul Importing or Automatic Importing?

Automatic Importing:If you areperforming automatic importing then the records which have the new value which does not exists in MDM will fail giving an exception which you can see in the logs.

Manual Importing:If you are performing Manula importing then ther are two ways to handle this

1) Manully add these value in the destination side while doing value mapping cause without which the importing cannot be completed.

2)If you want to import these records with the new value but identify them later ,

Then you can map these values to NULL,for this all you have to do is map thoes values to null.

Then once you have done with the importing you can make search on the records with thoes field values as NULL and with the list of those material number you can identify there new values from source.

Hope It Helped

Kindly Reward Points If Found Useful

Thanks & Regards

Simona

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello JP,

In import manager while importing the records,

we have to complete the Field mapping and Value mappings without which the import option will greyed out.So if u have some errors in the records like u have mention ,what u can do is import the records,while doing value mapping u can add the

new value "IL" by add option and after that u can complete import with no problems (as it will not give any error in this s)even if the problem persistes all the records will be imported except the records with errors and a exception log will be generated explaining the records failed in import process.

Rgds

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

From Import manager if you have field mapping done ,you have to complete the value mapping.If it is from the import server,the particular record will be skipped and you will have an exception log.