cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workflow trigger while record import

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can someone explain me the working of a workflow which gets triggered automatically on a "record import"? I tried testing "record add" and "record update" and they seem to work fine. I'm using SP05 Patch 2.

My scenario is such that i want to launch this workflow automatically when records are imported via Import server.

But this doesnt seem to work. The records are being imported but i can no way see them being added to this workflow.

Will the workflow be launched for those records which are "updated" via import server or for those which are only "created" freshly?

Regards

Swarna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swarna,

Yes, you can use the property Checkout/Workflow in MDM import Manager, you will get automatically name of your workflow if it Trigger Actions = Record Import.

For more clear information refer this:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0be83e4-a1e6-2a10-c1be-8395ae94...

Hope it will Help you,

Rewards if Useful.....

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mandeep, the only problem with using the trigger option in the data manager as opposed to the map is that the record will syndicate without having gone through the workflow first. If Jitesh's advice is followed then the record will immediately go into workflow and be checked out, this prevents the record from being syndicated before it's finished with the workflow and checked back in.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jitesh, Mandeep

I think its wise to explain my scenrio better. I have two workflows, WF1 is responsible for syndication and importing back. WF2 should be triggered when WF1 brings the imports.

I set the configuration in import manager as per your suggestion, but no luck! The record is checked out during the course of WF1, could this be the problem?

I'll post the log traces tomorrow for better clarity!

@ Harrison

I'm unable to get your advice, could you please elaborate a bit?

Thanks alot for your inputs

Regards

Swarna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you using the syndication step in WF1? If the record is checked out when you syndicate it and then reimport it, it will not go into WF2. A checked out record won't go into a new workflow.

Here's what you should do:

1. Configure WF1 to check record out during workflow, but check it back in when the workflow is complete.

2. Configure syndication server to automatically push records that get changed to the outbound port.

3. Configure the import map to launch WF2.

4. WF2 should check the record out while the record is in the workflow, and check it back in when the workflow is complete.

What I was saying earlier is that when you import a record change, the syndication server will recognize the record changed, and push the record to the outbound port. What you want to do is have the record go through the workflow before it gets syndicated. In order to do this you need to launch the workflow from the import map using the setting that Jitesh described.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harrison,

Thanks for coming back. I dont think my scenario will work, because the record is checked out while the import(with WF2) is happening, so the records aren't imported and it ends in an exception....

Cannot import record with workflow because the record is already checked out

Regards

Swarna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swarna,

To trigger the workflow on Record Import you need to set the Worflow name in the Configurations of Import Manager in the property Checkout/Workflow.

All the workflows with the triggering action Record Import will be visible in the list.

Set this property and save the map.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja