cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem of Creating Multiple Communication channels for multiple files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody

I have a very basic doubt but this struck me...

For a file-XI-file scenario,if multiple files are coming from same FTP server but with different names then we have to create multiple communication channels for all the files of different names..but is this a intelligent approach?Can we do something so that only one communication channel can receive multiple files of different names?plz explain in detail if possible ASAP.

I have another doubt as in File-XI-File scenario how the XI understands that a particular file is from this FTP server needs to be send to another particular FTP Server?is it only the name of the file which we give in sender comm channel & receiver comm chaneel which determines this????that means this name should always be same?plz explain in detail if anybody knows?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

for handling multiple file from the same FTP server with diffrent name of files.

do this

give the name of file .txt* or .pdf* means wtevere is teh format of you files.

2) IN xi server we allways give the name of the FTP server means the IP address of the FTP server.

due to which XI server become able to understand to which FTp server it is connected.

Thanks

sudhir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prashant ther's no question of awarding any points as you have just wasted my & ur time by giving some useless & old information which I think any XI consultant knows.......its the basics of FTP option which I very well know.....plz read the question carefully & then reply if u have some firm answers........if u dont know abt .doc or .xls then y do u replied that's wat my question was........

neways thanks a lot but from future reply to those questions only which u understand & know the answer of.....plzzzzzz

Edited by: Madhurim Basu on Jun 6, 2008 8:54 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhurim,

I think that you have not checked the FTP option for File adapter. you must have seen only the File System(NFS) option which comes by default.

In FTP option,you can specify the server address ,so the file is pickes and dropped at the specified server.

Also multiple files can be picked thru same channel by . method.

Using content conversion u can process txt files.Not sure abt .doc or .xls....

reward points if helpful...

PraSAhant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Aamir.I understood the solution.

Correct me if I am wrong.......

1)If there are multiple files with different names & different extensions in the sender FTP then we use-->

*.*

2)if there are multiple files with different names & different extensions in sender FTP & I want only say files of 2 extension types(say .xml & .txt)then we use-->

*.xml

in one comm channel &

*.txt

in another comm channel rite??

Also I wanted to ask that only two kinda files we can pick up through sender comm channel rite?

.xml and .txt(File content Conversion).Can we pick files of other extensions also?(say .doc,.xls)If we use as u said

*.*

then files of all other extensions will also be picked up rite?bt hw will xi convert them into xml?plz explain......

One of my other q is not answered yet.........all these same doubts are there for receiver communication channel.......but you all have not said nething abt the receiver comm channel........plz explain the answers to all these queries for receiver comm channel for a receiver FTP........ASAP......thanks once again.......

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Aamir

As I said I am a XI consultant.....:) I know that the handshake & all the information regarding the sender & receiver are exchanged in Receiver Determination & Interface determination.One thing that I asked for the multiple comm channell.......u said a new thing which I never tried is dat giving "." in place of filename in sender comm channel so xi will poll all files present in that folder of FTP rite?????but is only . sufficient what extension of file will it search can u explain?or shud I give *.(any extension I want for) & if there are files of different extension & diff names & I want them from 1 sender comm channel.is it possible?

plz tell me about this same scenarios in case of receiver communication channel........can I send multiple files of diff names (obviously diff contents) & also tell the case for same & different extension.

another thing as I know abt receiver & interface determination I didnt ask that......I know that in receiver detm we give sender & receiver business system(for r/3) or business service & in interface det. we specify the interface mapping & message interfaces & the actual handshake happens.

My q is for file to file xi understands that which file to pick from sender system & which to give in receiver system only by its name??????plz explain?????

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Madhurim,

Actually what aamir wanted to write was

*.*

but the html editor shows that as a bold DOT .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ohhhhhhh my bad,actually i wanted to write

*.* 

but the new HTML editor on SDN changed it to a bold dot(.),Thanx Ravi for clearing it out

>>My q is for file to file xi understands that which file to pick from sender system & which to give in receiver system only by its name??????

Yes,XI understands which file to pick up by the name you give in filename in sender adapter.

You can pick up any file(even of different extensions or types) from a single sender adapter.

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we can do that, specify the polling interval in processing parameters in Communication channel.

That will work.

Please reward points if it helps

Thanks

Vikranth

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>specify the polling interval in processing parameters

but we always specify pooling parameters,its madatory:)

here is issue is with filename and has nothing to do with polling parameter at all.

Thanx

Aamir

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basu,

If you mean different file names- Different file names with same Structure, am I correct? If yes, then givin * is no the Intelligent option, it is the best option :-). Do you know what happens if you create multiple comm.channel?

Multiple Communication channel -

> Leads to create Multiple Sender Agreement---> Leads to Create Multiple Outbound Interfaces. Which Inturn Leads to create multiple Receiver Determination and Interface Determination.

Hence giving * is the only the best option.

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can we do something so that only one communication channel can receive multiple files of different names?

we can do that, specify the polling interval in processing parameters while creating the sender communication channel and while mentioning the file path give *.xml.

Check this once..

/people/mickael.huchet/blog/2006/09/18/xipi-how-to-exclude-files-in-a-sender-file-adapter

Thanks,

Vijaya.

Edited by: Vijaya Lakshmi Palla on Jun 4, 2008 10:29 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for the filename you could work with placeholders:

The following are valid examples for filename:

myFile.txt

my*.txt

*.txt

\*File.\*

\*File\*.*

myle.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0d/00453c91f37151e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Regards

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>Can we do something so that only one communication channel can receive multiple files of different names

you can use one sender communication channel,simply give filename as . it will pick up all the files irrespective of names.

>>is it only the name of the file which we give in sender comm channel & receiver comm chaneel

Its the receiver determination and interface determination where the handshake is perrformed between sender and receiver system.In receiver determination and interaface determination you give parameters for both sender and receiver hence XI determines based upon that.

Thanx

Aamir