cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI as ETL??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Someone has used PI as ELT to pass large amounts of data to BI? Is this really a recommendation of SAP?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So, for comparison purposes, I would start with a general comparison of EAI vs. ETL tools and decide which is the best solution for your environment. In my experience, both tools are valuable in their respective areas, and both can be misused to try to do something that is better accomplished by the other. For example, using an EAI tool that includes a JDBC connector to extract data from a database, map it, and load it to a data warehouse. While this can work, ETL tools are generally better suited for this type of work. Another example (and, in my opinion, a bad solution) is integrating transactional applications by using an ETL tool to synchonize databases.

In that light, the best comparison is to look at XI with other EAI tools. Since we have implemented XI 2.0 and are moving towards 3.0, we obviously feel that XI compares very favorably with other EAI solutions. In particular, we saw a definite advantage in the areas of stability and lifecycle management, which stem from the fact that XI is based on a mature application server platform (WAS).

Thanks

Vikranth

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>Since we have implemented XI 2.0 and are moving towards 3.0

Just wondering,did u guys still had XI 2.0?

Thanx

Aamir

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are planning to implement PI 7.0

aashish_sinha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I already worked with XI 3 , PI 7 and also in PI 7.1 Rampup and CE rampup ;).

Aashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone else?

aashish_sinha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think it is the best purpose of using PI as ETL tool and also it must not be recommended by SAP. as PI is acting as middleware tool. But it depends upon the requirement if in your business scenario if you required PI and you want to transform your incoming data in PI based on some requirement , you can use it to load data to taret systems, but i don't think it will be feasible for you to send a big data using PI system. certainly not.

Regards

Aashish sinha

PS : reward points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the replies here

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=12526580&messageID=2388767

Thanks,

vijaya.

Edited by: Vijaya Lakshmi Palla on Jun 4, 2008 10:34 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is your requirement??

You cannot expect anyone to understand your requirement, from one line that you have posted.

Elaborate your requirement.

-

Manuel Soteldo.

Amo al Divo de Juarez