cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Properties versus file under WEB

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a situation where I am using a central MII server to use virtual xacute queries to retrieve data from a number of remote plants. For some reason, the client does not want to use Global properties to set Remote site specific properties. In order to use generic transactions, I now use a set of filesunder the WEB folder to contain the site specific data. These files are text in nature, but I anticipate using xml files there in the future.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of using WEB folders versus Global Properties?

I already know that it requires more sequences and action blocks to load the information instead of just referring to the property, but are there other drawbacks?

What kind of performance hit will I take with this approach?

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

Udayan are right, It works very well. Please make sure, that you have not assign the CustomAttribute

to a Param. If you mapped to a Param, then it will not work.

Regards

Pedro

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

Unfortunately, I am using site specific virtual connectors, not the standard Xacute Connector. As I mentioned Udayan, I am sure I will run across other opportunities to use his suggestion, but I think for this situation it is just as well to use the file under the web folder. I also have to make sure it can be maintained after I leave, so the file is a bit easier for the client's MII resources.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you answered the question yourself

The biggest question would be

1. Maintainability (Maintaining Global properties as opposed to maintaining a file would definitely be easier)

2. Accessibility.

From a performance point I don't think it'll be too big a overhead reading XML or text files but the above 2 reasons should win the argument for global properties.

Other than that if these remote calls are User/Role specific then you can explore Custom Attributes as well , which are global in nature and easily accessible.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Udayan,

I have to agree, but am working under client directed constraints. Working within the contraints while still keeping to OOP standards is what I am trying to achieve. I will have to take a look at the custom attributes. I think my environment and system characteristics may make those an option as well. I appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks,

Mike

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Udayan,

I have created the custom attributes and mapped them to both Administrator (me) and the Everyone roles. I know the roles have changed substantially in 12.0. How would I access a custom attribute from within a transaction? Or from within an Xacute query?

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried these on IRPT pages where it can be accessed as {<Attribute name>}, therefore I would think in a transaction it would just be an input parameter <Attribute name> (just like for example IllumLoginName) .

Make sure you have the AutoBind property of the Xacute Connector checked such that these can be automatically passed when calling the transaction using an Xacute Query.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Udayan,

The attributes don't appear to be available within a transaction. I guess I am going to just stick with my web file approach for the time being. I appreciate the suggestions. I did learn another aspect of xMII. Although I can't use it for this application, it may be useful for another application down the road.

Thanks,

Mike