cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relaunch to a already opened Browser Window

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I’d like to ask, how to handle the following technical requirement (Windows XP, IE 6.0):

Via URL, a web application (such as internet application component with parameters) is called from a third party application (e.g. Cash Register System). If the application launch to the internet application again, normally a new browser window will be opened. After that, there are two opened browser windows.

Is it possible to launch to the <b>already opened browser window</b> via URL (e.g. the already internet application is called again with different parameters http://<server>:<port>/appl?par1=val1&par2=val2....)?

Thank you for your information in advance.

Best regards,

Kurt.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184154
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, quite simple: put a target attribute in you anchor in the main page. For instance:

<a href="myexternalwindows.htm" target="extwindow">

Each time the link is hit, the opened page will used the same window (if already open).

Is that enough for you?

Cheers,

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your information.

The problem is, that the external application will only call an URL. There's no page, in which I can set a link to the external window.

I guess, there is a windows special function needed to call an already opened page via URL.

Thanks & best regards,

Kurt.

Message was edited by: Kurt Weiskopf

former_member184154
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh, I see.

So what kind of <i>control</i> is this 3rd party app using? <b>ActiveX</b>? If so, they could also try to retrieve a handle to that window and at following hits, instead of launching that again, first check if window with that handle is still alive and eventually update its location.

Or just call MSIE via command line? In this case I'm afraid there's no way... Have a look at this <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/reskit/6/part7/z03ie6rk.mspx">MS tech page</a>, at the very end you'll find command line switches, which are very poor indeed.

Let me know.

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your information.

I'll clarify, what kind of the application will be used.

Best regards,

Kurt.