cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from DCOM to .Net Connector

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We currently use DCOM with SAP 4.6c and use asp and VB for the web interface. We are upgrading to ECC6 and I believe that DCOM is not supported by SAP anymore. Can we use DCOM with ERP6,if so what are the steps we need to take to make sure it works. If we have to move to .Net, what are the pitfalls, does VB code require lot of changing? The problem is we need to do it in the shortest time as this is a major hurdle in our SAP upgrade. And also I've no experience in this area. I would greatly appreciate if any one can please point me in the right direction.

Prompt response will be very much appreciated.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajani!

But please reward me with Forum Points, remember?

Perhaps a... full one?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajani, if you are still unaware with webservices, and if using connector will be your preference, then there are two options for it.

The first option is to use .NET connector and Visual Studio 2003. But this one is an obsolete solution, since most of us are not using that version of Visual Studio anymore.

And the second option is to use Softwise's SAP Explorer & Proxy generator. This is the solution that I provide for most of the postings here in this forum, so I think you can check them for further solution (but if you want to I can describe it again here).

The final decission is on you, whether you want to use Web Services or stick with the Connectors world we all know and love J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajani,

as Andre Fischer already wrote if you plan to connect to an ECC 6.0 the best way to go is by using Web Services, SAP will ship more and more Enterprise Services with the Enhancement Packs for ECC 6 and that is the direction for the future for Interoperability between Microsoft .NET and SAP. In case you still plan to go with an adapter you can also take a look at the new WCF LOB Adapter for SAP from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f3ea0659-b0ed-4d5a-891e-53268128a5f0&Displa..., this adapter allows you to connect from Microsoft .NET to SAP using BAPIs/RFCS/tRFCs and IDocs.

- Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your responses.As Indra suggested,we have used Softwise's SAP Explorer & Proxy generator to generate the proxy classes and used .NET to implement the web logic. As I've no experience with Webservices, had to take .Net Connector approach as I had to get it done in 3 days.

Thank you all very much.

Regards,

Rajani

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rajani,

I wouldn't move from using the DCOM connector to using the .NET connector. Since you are upgrading to ECC6 you don't need any connector at all. It will be possible to publish any RFC function module that you have called using the DCOM connector as a web service.

Using .NET you can call these web services using either .NET 2.0 or 3.0 without the need of any connector.

In the following list of .NET related articles you will find several examples how to call a Web Service that is based on BAPI's.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/dotnet?rid=/webcontent/uuid/00bb5ff6-1da1-2a10-4598-840625b0b40b

Best regards,

André