cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citrix and NetWeaver Developer Workplace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I was wondering how one could set up NWDW (i.e. Developer Studio + Application Server) via Citrix.

I think that this is one of the solution supported by SAP but I don't seem to grasp the whole picture here.

I'm not talking about technical details, I'd just like to understand the general ideas behind it:

- where is NWDS installed? (on the remote server and accessed via Citrix?)

- how many instances of NWDS are there on the remote server?

- how many instances of the Application Server are there on the remote server?

- If there's only one NWDS and one Application Server on the remote server, how can multiple developers work simultaneously?

Any ideas?

Ciao

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

let me add some more information on this for the sake of completeness:

As of 710 NWDS this is not a problem since once you managed to specifiy the workspace based on the -data parameter, the NWDS uses 1 <workspace> for local development and another one (<workspace>.jdi) for NWDI related developments.

On 700 the situation is different. There are 3 folders from which the workspace is only 1.
Besides workspace we also have the folders .dtr and .dtc and these are as default under the C:\Documents and Settings\<user> so if someone else logs on then he won't be able to reach these folders and this causes problems once you intend to work with NWDI related perspectives like the DTR or Development Configuration perspective.

You can use the below description since there is a mistake in the note 947581 that is describing this issue.

1)The first folder is the workspace.
  You can set it up by editing the shortcut of NWDS in the following way:

<path to your IDE>\eclipse\SapIde.exe -vm "<JAVA_HOME>\bin\javaw.exe" -data "<workspace folder of a given user>"

(!Example!)
D:\JDT\eclipse\SapIde.exe -vm "D:\usr\j2sdk1.4.2_09\bin\javaw.exe" -data "D:/etc/JDIWorkspace/i030853"

------

2) The second folder (.dtc) can be changed by editing the file under <path of your IDE>\eclipse\plugins\com.sap.java.ide\plugin_customization.ini      

Add the line at the end of the file                                     com.sap.ide.eclipse.component.provider/configPoolRoot=<workspace folder of the given developer>                                       

(!Example!)                                                             com.sap.ide.eclipse.component.provider/configPoolRoot=D:/etc/JDIWorkspace/i030853/.dtc    

-----                                               

3)The third (.dtr) parameter can be changed in the file vm.parameters which is in case of NW04 and NW04S:                                  

<path to your IDE>\eclipse\vm.parameters                                          

Add a line at the end of the file:                                   
  -Dvfs.configfolder=<workspace of the given developer>\.dtr           

(!Example!)                                                          
  -Dvfs.configfolder=D:\etc\JDIWorkspace\i030853\.dtr

Let me rephrase: Everything I wrote here is valid only for release 70X and lower.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ervin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

where is NWDS installed? (on the remote server and accessed via Citrix?)

On a server that is accessible via CITRIX.

how many instances of NWDS are there on the remote server?

Only 1.

- how many instances of the Application Server are there on the remote server?

this does not matter.

- If there's only one NWDS and one Application Server on the remote server, how can multiple developers work simultaneously?

See technical details above. One Addition to it, you can create scripts, batch files whatever that is manipulating the above data. e.g. USER1.bat copies the corresponding pre-modified files like plugin_customization.ini, vm.parameters and the NWDS shortcut icon. USER2.bat has again the corresponding actions that makes possible that the same NWDS will be invoked with the corresponding configuration. There is no automated way implemented since normally we recommend to have NWDS on the client side, but in special cases there is a requirement to use only 1 NWDS instance by many developers (like in your case using NWDS via citrix).

Of course if you don't want to write scripts and you have resource on the system anyway and the number of developers isn't that large, you can also attempt to install multiple instances of NWDS and then pre-configure them accordingly for the given users as I described in my previous post.

Best Regards,
Ervin

S0003699348
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

i'm also searching for the same information you ask here.

Did you get to use NWDS in Citrix.

Thanks and best regards

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some basics are discussed here: http://scn.sap.com/thread/113844

> If there's only one NWDS and one Application Server on the remote server,
> how can multiple developers work simultaneously?

For each user a single instance (NWDS/JVM) gets started.

Hope it helps
Detlev