cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is possible through Java ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have been in SAP for only 2 months and now I must find a way to connect to SAP through Java and extract data from reports.

I checked the SAP JCo wich seems to be a good way to do this but apparently I must use BAPIs or at least Functions.

The problem is : my client does not want me to use Functions. So I must launch a transaction through Java and get the results back "by hand".

Is this possible ? Or are the BAPIs or the RFCs essential ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.

Greg.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai ,

Yes ur requirement is U have Two Inputfiled and submit button through Web . When User Click on Submit button u have to get the data from SAP R/3 System Right . Then u must use BAPI .

U can Release ur bapi from R/3 .

Import the BAPI in To NWDS and design ur UI As per ur Requirement .

Regards ,

venkat

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help, as the use of RFC was inevitable, I used RFC_READ_TABLE and I hope my client will be satisfied with that... Otherwise, I will not be able to help me.

Best Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

It really depends on what you are trying to do... If you have some comlpetely standalone Java applications that need data from SAP then you will be best to use JCo to call RFC enabled function modules - RFC is SAP's standard way for external applications to interact with the system and both send and receive data as well as perform transactional updates. I would seriously question why your client doesn't want you to use functions and ask just what they want you to do instead?!

If on the other hand you actually just want to display SAP reports in a web page then there are lots of other alternatives such as the Enterprise Portal, Web Dynpro, BSP's, Visual Composer, web enabling standard SAP transactions, etc...

Hope this helps,

Gareth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You want to launch transaction of SAP via java, this should be impossible

Use RFC to communicate with SAP is the standard way, why your client refuse to do this, all your required is a service user, there's no harm to do this.

Another way is webservice, but the performance of mass data should be considered.

Best Regards,

William