cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS Confusion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am being asked to install DMS. However, I cannot find what to download and install. Furthermore, the WIKI on SDN is not clearing up my confusion.

1) Is DMS and EasyDMS the same thing?

2) Where can I find the master guide for DMS?

3) Where can I found the software downloads? What components are needed? Content server...

I have spent a lot of time on Service Marketplace and SDN trying to understand, and I keep striking out.

Just a solid lead in the right direction is all that is needed.

For our landscape, DMS would be used with ECC 6.0/ERP2005.

Thank you,

John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

1) No they are different. DMS works inside SAP R/3. EasyDMS is front end application which works simialr to DMS but with very good usability.

2) Sorry dont know

3) DMS is part of SAP ERP. Easydms can be found out at sap market place.

regards

anubhav

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi john.

Question no .1 answar is given very clearly,

about que 2

you can get the detail imforamtion for dms from sap help

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/c1/1c31a243c711d1893e0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm

Que no :3 for DMS , to store the document, best practise is to use content server, all the document will get store in the content server.

you can see the docuement on internet also by web dms functionality, but you have to activate it.

regards,

nitin

award point if useful

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear John,

regarding your question I would like to give you the following information:

1) Is DMS and EasyDMS the same thing?

Not really. DMS is a part of SAP R/3 PLM module. So if you have activated the PLM module you can also use the DMS functionalities. The main DMS transaction are CV01N, CV02N, CV03N and CV04N. Further you will find the necessary customizing in transaction SPRO under 'Cross Application Component' - 'Document Management'.

EasyDMS is a kind of a DMS light version which can be installed separatly on a single PC. So EasyDMS is more or less a stand alone application which connects to your R/3 system by using RFC connection and then uses the DMS BAPIs to enable you to create document info records and handle them. You will find more information on how to download and install EasyDMS under the WIKI page:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/plm/1.StartingSAPEasyDocument+Management

2) Where can I find the master guide for DMS?

The most useful guide could be found in the SAP online documentation at http://help.sap.com. You fill find all necessary information on DMS under

SAP ERP Central Component >> Cross-Application Components >> Document Management

3) Where can I found the software downloads? What components are needed? Content server...

EasyDMS could be downloaded from the SAP Service Marketplace. As mentioned above you can use DMS in your R/3 system since you have activated the PLM module.

I hope this information is useful for you and helps to answer your questions.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please reward points for useful information.