Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle images (or let say mimes)

former_member188973
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear MDM Gurus,

I want to start a discussion on how to handle MIMEs in MDM best.

Szenario is MDM as a SRM Catalog System - Some million products(records) and as many mimes.

- Import or linking?

- What are the pros and cons of these two ways?

- If I link images can MDM Server deliver them or do I need a seperate Webserver?

- If I import them how will the DB Size extend?

- If I "only" link the does it make a difference while lookup at import?

Maybe some of you have more questions and hopefully some of you have a kind of best-practice help for us.

Best regards

Roman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188973
Participant
0 Kudos

Is there nobody out there who can say anything about my questions?

Regards

Roman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman,

Its a nice discussion you have started. According to me

Advantage of linking

1. You can store the millions of images in the separate machine so the disk space on which SQL Server is installed can be used to store other data.

Disadvantage of linking

1. It may take some time to load the repository or in accessing the MDM clients because system has to actually search the location and fetch the mimes where they are stored.

Advantage of Storing

1. Loading and Opening of MDM Clients time can be reduced since all the images are stored in the repository itself

Disadvantage of Storing

1. If there are millions of images as you have said then majority of drive space will be used by these mimes and hence we can create less MDM records

Note: Sounds, Videos when stored in the repository cannot be played directly from the MDM Data manager they are first saved some where then only we can play them while this is not the case with linking

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja