cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work with Change number !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts ,

My client is thinking of having ECM to track changes to BOM and material . I have done necessary settings in OS 54 and OS 27 . I created change number with status 1 ( active ) with activity and object on for material and BOM on object types tab .

First I tried to change a existing material with this change number but it showed error : Generation not supported for change object

1)Why ?

Then I created new material and used the same number to make some changes . The changes can be reviewed in MM04 transaction , but when I changed the same material without change number it did not recorded the changes .

2) Is there any way to make change number mandatory so that when user will change material the changes will be recorded ?

I made necessary settings for revision level but it did not increase with change in material

3).What is the use of revision level , If change number can record all the changes made to material with user , time and field ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member335796
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To your Question No. 2 and 3.

2. In OS54 if you activate the Revision Level active then this activates the Change Management for Material Master.

3. With Revision Level, when ever there is a change in your Material (i.e, BOM Changes) which effect the end product like components, Quantity etc then you need to raise the revision level. If the change is with reference to the logistics data like issue storage location etc.. it is not required to have revision level in this case.

With reference to Revision Level date the BOM Exploasion will take place during Confirmation.

So, having the same change No. to have the Revision Level date and changing the BOM is a must.

For your Question 1:

The Change Master, Object types screen, if you tick the Object, then it will check for already exixting change management record. You can create a new material with change no. and change that afterwards.

Hope this helps..

Revert for further discussion..

Regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sir ,

Thanks !

So , you mean to say revision level is always set manually not automatically when there is change in material like quantity or date which will ultimately change BOM.

1) Do I need to change or increase revision level , If I make change in other data like lot size , MRP type , sche margin key or any lead time ?

2) I am not clear about your answer to my 1st question . Do you mean to say , change number can not be used for existing material( which was created without change number ) ?

3) Is there any way to make change number mandatory so that when user will change material the changes will be recorded ? ( once after it has changed with change number )

Neal.

former_member335796
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you need to crete the Revision Level with reference to the Change No.

If your Change in BOM will effect the end customer then only you need to raise the revision level.

Otherwise no. need, with normal change no. you can do the changes.

If you activate the Revision Level in OS54, then the Change No. will be mandatory for Material Master.

If you use the Change No. during cretion?change of the Material Master then this will be reflected in MM04 Change No. filed.

Hope this helps..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Again ,

I am clear about revision level . As I said I did necessary settlings in OS54 before changing the material . First I created material with change number and then changed with the same number .

1)My question was why I was not able to change another existing material which was created without change no. ( Error Generation not supported for change object ). In nutshell is it possible to change material which was created without change number ?

2) Even after making revision level active and object indicator on in CC01 , why system is allowing me to make changes to material without change number . The same material was created and changed with change number . Why system didnu2019t asked for change number while changing it .

Neal .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any Answers ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

How to track or view changes made to BOM ? I checked CC07 but its not helping me .

All the necessary setting are done . I made some changes to BOM with change number and without change number but there is no document in CC07 . Is there any other transaction to track changes to BOM ?

former_member335796
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

With the T.Code: CS80 you can see the Changes to the BOM.

For your earlier questions, please refer below link:

Regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Again ,

I checked CS80 transaction code .I can see two tabs document overview and Full , If I click on document overview tab I can see document number ,date ,time , changed by and object Id . But I canu2019t see actual change made to BOM . In item detail screen I can see table and table key but no value in old value and new value field .

When I click on TAB Full , I can see table key ( I guess) and table name and below that I can see components added by me while changing BOM . I couldnu2019t see the information like who changed , and date , time etc . So How to know who has changed what ?

Is it through table key ? How ?

Neal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any Answers ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please someone answer !

Moreover, once necessary settings are done in OS 54 changes can be tracked with or without change number so whatu2019s the use of change number?

For material or BOM , history documents are created even if I didnt use change number so what is significance of using change number while changing material or BOM ?

Points will be rewarded

Neal .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus , please answer .