Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open SQL: How to Compare Timestamps?

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I have to build a SQL statement dependant on different parameters, so using prepared statements does not make sense. So comparing dates or timestamps cannot be done via ps.setDate(i, someDate).

With this, I have tried for example to build "SELECT ID FROM MYDB WHERE SOMEDATE >= '2004-05-01 00:00:00.00'" Running this, an OpenSQLException is thrown: "type check error: operands in comparison must be compatible".

Wow! I would say, these are as compatible as they can be... Why does OpenSQL doesn't think the same about this situation?

And how can I compare dates/timestamps without using prepared statements?

Questions over questions. Would be very nice if somebody could give me some hint...

Thanks in advance

Detlev

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev,

the syntax check is correct, you are comparing different types; time stamps are actually a separate type. Take a look at the <b>CONVERT DATE d TIME t INTO TIME STAMP tst TIME ZONE tz</b> command. I think this is what you're looking for.

Best wishes, harald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try using a bind variable and prep statement instead?

Former Member
0 Kudos

To clarify - I saw you didn't want to use prep stmt initially, but there are so many benefits of using prep statements, so why invent the wheel?

For instance:

- It gives you a platform-independent way of executing your query from JDBC code ;

- General automatic benefits of prep statements - stmt compiled once and can be re-used many times.

etc. etc.

-Yuri