cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any Advantage for creating custom table in XI instead of R/3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have scenario where i need to exract data from SQL server and pass the key fields to custom table (Is there any advantage for creating custom table in XI instead of R/3) and get the corresponding records and do some calculation and mapp the fields to appropriate segment fields of the shipment idoc SHIPMENT_CREATEFROMDATA01?and i need to update the read flag as well once the record has been read from the SQL Server table.

I suggested to create custom tables in R/3 for this scenario,but the client is asking what is the advantage of creating custom tables in R/3 instead of XI.

These are the possible methods for doing the scenario:

which method i have to choose if the custom table created in XI

1) JDBC to ABAP Proxy -

2) JDBC to IDOC using RFC Lokups

3) JDBC to IDOC using BPM------ Not recommanded

altimatly i need to pass the final data to standard idoc:SHIPMENT_CREATEFROMDATA01 which creates the idoc in R/3 system.

Please suggest me to do this scenario whether i need to create custom table in XI or R/3? advantages and disadvatages for both?

Regards,

Bhoj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

You can go for either

1) JDBC to ABAP Proxy -

OR

2) JDBC to IDOC using RFC Lokups

For RFC look-up you used RFC_READ_TABLE and The scope of function module RFC_READ_TABLE is very restricted. E.g., due to the fixed maximum row size only smaller tables can be accessed. There are several data types that cannot be handled, and also there are doubts regarding the Unicode compatibility of the function module.

So you can maintain the customized tables in XI instead of R/3.

But

In XI we just need to get the data and generate the mapping target structure.So I dont thing we need an XML Version for this.But it will be very useful when we are integrating SAP with any other product than XI.

I hope this will give some hitch to decide about the pros and cons

Refer

Optimizing Lookup's in XI

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/12/06/optimizing-lookups-in-xi

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/10/15/jdbc-adapter-execution-mode-chained-or-unchained

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/cf/406642ea59c753e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Thanks

Swarup