cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A simple question in TADM51 Unit 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a question in TADM51 Unit 1. My question is how to execute a correct SQL command, since both SQLPLUS and BR*Tools are not recommended in the explanation. Or I misunderstood the explanation totally? Please advise. Thanks.

Question: If you know the correct SQL command, it is recommended to call the command (for example, as seen in BR*Tools) from SQLPLUS to perform actions on the database.

Answer: False

Explanation: Using SQLPLUS is only necessary in rare cases, for example to execute scripts provided by SAP. Executing SQL commands seen in BRTools is dangerous, because BRTools usually perform additional actions and checks before and after executing the SQL command.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no, you mistunderstood....sap recommends to use brtools instead of sqlplus (because of the "additional actions" used by brtools)

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

so what's the meaning of this sentence, "Executing SQL commands seen in BR*Tools is dangerous", I am not sure whether it says that Executing SQL command in BRTools is dangerous, or not.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Some times when you execute an action via BR*tools you see a SQL command.

IMHO, what the phrase means is that it is dangerous to execute the shown command on SQLPLUS.

The reason is that BR*tools perform additional checks or actions.

For example, create a tablespace is a simple command that can be executed in SQLPLUS.

But, BR*tools not only create the tablespace, it will check if there is enough free space on the filesystem, it will check if the filename/path follows SAP recommendations, it will update the SAP data dictionary ....

none of the mentioned checks/actions are done if you use SQLPLUS alone, you risk to create inconsistencies on the SAP data dictionary, execute a command that may fail (but BR*tools would have found out that before executing it) etc

Answers (0)