cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to validate a field of type text for similar values

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My requirement is to validate a field <b>Name1</b> of type Text[40] for similar values when a new record is created. So If the Name1 already exist in repository, the validation has to give warning message saying the customer with Name1 already exist.

Regards,

Madhu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhu

To validate a particular field, when a new record comes along with the same value SAP MDM is not capable of generating warning messages, but we can have best method of Tracking at Import manager level.

In the Import manager after successful mapping, access the MATCH RECORD tab. Go to the Default import action area there you can find Match type & Default import action. For example if you are sending same Material record which is already available in the Repository, Match type will have the value “EXACT” where as Default Import action will have “UPDATE (ALL MAPPED FIELDS or NULL FIELDS)”.

Here I have copied various Match types as well as Default Import Actions along with the definitions, pls go thru the same and feel free to revert to me for further clarifications.

<u><b>Default Import Action</b></u>

<b>Skip -></b> Skip source value combinations that already

exist.

<b>Update(NULL Qualifiers Only) -></b> Update just the NULL remaining qualifiers of each existing qualified lookup value.

<b>Update (All Mapped Qualifiers)-></b> Update all the remaining qualifiers of each existing

qualified lookup value.

<b>Replace -></b> Replace all the remaining qualifiers of each existing qualified lookup value by first deleting them and then creating a new value combination.

<b>Delete -></b> Delete this qualified lookup value during import Processing.

<u><b>Match Type</b></u>

<b>None -></b> None

<b>Exact -> </b> Whether the match type for the destination record with the current source

record is Exact.

<b>Partial -></b> Whether the match type for the destination record with the current source

record is Partial.

<b>Conflict -></b> Whether the match type for the destination record with the current source

record is Conflict.

Thanks

Alexander

Message was edited by: Alexander Raja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raja for the answer. Expected this basic minimum requirement from Master Data Management tool which is supposed to help in consolidation of large data. Some of the fields against which we want to run our deduplication strategies are free form text fields like the first name, last name etc..

What is the simple approach we can take in these scenarios. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhu

Fine, Kindly try it out the following method and let me know whether it solves your issue.

For example if you 50 Customer records and Name1 field got same value for all the records; and your goal is to merge all 50 recs into 1.

To achieve the above in the Match record tab you should remove "[REMOTE KEY]" and select the field which you find got similar value for all the records, in this case NAME1 field.

thanks

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhusudan.

Are you working in the <b><i>MDM Data Manager</i></b>, or using an API-Based custom program?

Regards,

Nir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nir,

I am using the MDM Data Manager for this validation.

Regards,

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhusudan.

You might want to define the <b>Name1</b> field as <i>Unique Field</i> (= YES) through the <b><i>MDM Console</i></b>.

This will prevent users from entering duplicate values for that field.

Regards,

Nir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nir,

I do not want to set the field as unique. The business requirement is to give the end user the liberty to decide whether he would like to add this new customer or not.

So the validation has to warn the end user when he tries to create a new customer with similar Name1. Then the end user takes the appropriate action.

Regards,

Madhu