Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with SNOTE: Initializing codepage converter

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello!

I am on R/3 Enterprise 4.7, WAS 620, Oracle 9.2.0.3.0, non-unicode.

I have downloaded a note from the SAPnet to my PC, and when I tried to upload it by using SNOTE -> Go To -> Upload SAP Note, I got an error <i>General error when initializing the codepage converter</i>. I have double-checked the validity - the note should work for my system, and I tried this with several other notes with the same result.

I can't download the note directly because I'm not connected to OSS.

The help on SNOTE says that, in order to activate the note assistant, I should <i>For the software component with the technical name SAP_NOTES, set the status to Modifiable</i>. However, the software component SAP_NOTES does not exist in my System Change Options (it's not listed in the table).

What can I do?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Igor

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

Prior to Basis Release Release 6.10, the code pages were listed in tables that contain the code page number, SAP characterID, and code point for each character. As of Basis Release 6.10, characters are no longer based on SAP characterIDs but on standard Unicode scalar values. In addition, code pages contains a list of segments, and a code page building rule.

This should help u in solving ur problem:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/cb/56453c3ff4110ee10000000a11405a/frameset.htm

Hope this helps u,

Regards,

Nagarajan.

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, Nagarajan!

But I still don't get it. I have read the article that you propose, but don't see how it relates to my problem. It says that <i>These changes are valid for all systems, regardless of the system code page and therefore valid for all non-Unicode and Unicode installations using Basis Release 6.10</i>. I'm on 6.20 and therefore should have no problems with unicode-based character IDs and code pages.

Regards,

Igor

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

For downloading SAP notes its functinalities and its setup everything is given here,this should be very helpful for u Igor,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/7c/04f33925f12d20e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

To get a comprehensive and up-to-date overview of the SAP Notes on a business scenario and the related components of the mySAP Business Suite, use the Notes search on the SAP Service Marketplace under service.sap.com/notes.

Hope this helps u,

Regards,

Nagarajan.

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Nagarajan,

I have already examined the mentioned help article before posting the question (I even quoted it in my initial post), and didn't find anything regarding my specific situation. If you see something that I overlooked, please guide me to the specific part of the article.

I have no problems with finding SAP notes neither.

Thanks!

Regards,

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Igor,

Then i think so that u might have gone some where wrong in ur technical settings.

The RFC between a Unicode system and a non-Unicode system must convert the text data between the code pages that are use on both sides. Here, the following situations are possible:

1) An input character cannot be converted into the output code page.

Example: a Chinese Unicode character cannot be displayed in any European code page following ISO8859.

2) The conversion leads to an overrun of the output buffer.

Example: a sequence of Japanese Unicode characters may cause an output buffer of the same length to overrun, when converting into the Japanese multibyte code page SHIFTJIS.

3) Characters in the input data are incorrect; for example, in non-Unicode multibyte code pages, not all combinations of 2 bytes are permitted.

This link contains the technical requirements inside the RFC basics.Try this out.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/bf/48fac2256e764db6c58ccd2a255da7/frameset.htm

Hope this helps u,

Regards,

Nagarajan.

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for you effort, Nagarajan, but I still don't know what to do. I don't have RFC connection at all - I am uploading notes from files that I download from SAPnet to my PC.

Regards,

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

You can check whether all languages/codepages are defined

properly through the PSCPINST report. OSS note 804410 might also be relevant to your issue.

Regards,

Mike