cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Spec: WAS 6.40, NWDS 2.0.9

Greetings, and pardon the newbie topic! This is the start of our experience with Web DynPro are having issues setting the system up to work.

Currently I am trying to get a "HelloWorld" of sorts to work. When attempting to Run/Deploy to the remote server I get the error:

<b>Deployment exception : Cannot determine sdm host (is empty). Please configure your engine/sdm correctly</b>.

I decided to try an all local solution to bypass BASIS for now. I installed J2EE on my local PC. Setting NWDS to localhost:7676 on run/deploy I get the error:

<b>Exception: The message server did not respond within 60 sec. Please check if the message server is running and if the socket connection has been established.

Nested Exception : null</b>

I have checked the Java Message Server config in the Admin Console, this the port it has listed. I would like to get this local install working first, then I can move into the server realm.

I have looked through these forums and SDN and have not found a good checklist for setting this stuff up. I took the JA310 course which handled the dev portion fine but didn't really touch this aspect. If anyone could point me in the right direction, give me even a slight clue, etc., it would be greatly appreciated! And if some of this is not clear please let me know...

Thanks! Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thats simple :).. just go to your windows-->Preferences and select J2EE engine. There give the hostname of your WebApplication server and ther port as 3601.

Say ok. Then just go to the J2EE engine tab at the bottom of the NWDS and see if you get the server with green lights :).

<b>Note : If you are accessing your WebAS homepage using

http://machinename:5<00>00

where <00> is your instance number of your J2EE instance.

Msg server would be 36<instancenumber>+1. So as per the equation if your WebAS port is 50000 your Message server port would be 3601.</b>

If it does not just click on the refresh button on the right hand corner :).

Hope that helps.

regards

Ravi

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, after calming down and reading through the posts this is where we are.

J2SE and NWDS installed on local PC. J2EE installed on UNIX server. Put the Message Server and port in the Windows->Preferences->J2EE Engine. Refresh on the J2EE Engine Tab shows:

- Remote Engine
  - <machinename>:3526
    - Monitor 10.16.113.58

The Instance information for the Monitor shows that it is a cluster.

When trying to deploy we are still getting the initial error (sdm host is empty). We bounced the SDM to make sure it was up and noted the port (53618). Our company has most of the ports closed, this being one of them. We will put in the request to open this port.

The questions are then:

<b>1)</b> What other communication is necessary between the server and client that we will have to find out the ports for? It is a 24hr turnaround to get the port unblocked so I would like to put one request in...

<b>2)</b> Other than a Monitor, what else should show under the Message Server Host on the J2EE Engine tab? Should there be an entry for the SDM?

<b>3)</b> Why is NWDS such a hog on my local PC? (I know off topic but it is soooo slow)

<b>4)</b> Let's say the port unblocking makes a difference, what is the next thing I should see in the process so that I know things are starting to work?

Thanks in advance, again!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Off the top of my head I would say:

36<SysNo> Message Server

5<SysNo>00 Std. HTTP Port

5<SysNo>04 P4 Port -> Used for Remote Log Viewer

5<SysNo>08 Telnet Port -> Remote Administration of the Java engine via command line

5<SysNo>18 SDM Port

I'm sure I may have missed a few so everyone else please feel free to add on.

You should see all of the components of your engine in the pane.

How much RAM do you have? This tends to be the cause of slowness for many.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the lack of postings. I set up NWDS on the same segment as our test servers. Without port blocking issues I could go to http://hostname:<port_num>/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo and see the Message Server Port. With NWDS working I gave the port information to the Basis group who unblocked the appropriate ports for local pc NWDS access and execution.

Thanks to everyone for their patience, and I'm sure I'll be posting again soon!

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

First off, thank you all for the responses! Great to have such an active community!

<u>Vijayakhanna:</u> I think I need to read up the SDM. Is the SDM responsible for deploying my project?

<u>Ravi:</u> How can I find the instance number? I can see the WebAS homepage by just typing the server name (http://<servername>/). If I do this locally (http://localhost:8080) I only get the Java App Server homepage. Something tells me I need something more installed...

<u>Bharathwaj:</u> I had noticed that other post, wasn't sure how close my request was going to be! I have tried ports 3601 and 3621 with my IP name, no dice.

I tried:

http://hostname:<port_num>/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo for ports 8080, 8181, 4848 and was given the following:

HTTP Status 404 - /sap/monitoring/SystemInfo

type Status report

message /sap/monitoring/SystemInfo

description The requested resource (/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo) is not available.

Overall, getting a bit more confused! TGIF! Would it help if I have SAPMMC available to me to play around with? Does any tweaking need to be done to the J2EE server? NWDS just connects to the server through the engine servername/port and the rest should just flow, correct?

Whaddaya think sirs?!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

<i>I decided to try an all local solution to bypass BASIS for now. I installed J2EE on my local PC. Setting NWDS to localhost:7676 on run/deploy I get the error:</i>

J2EE in local PC.. what exactly did u install.. !

What components do u have in the NetWeaver landscape..You should Web AS Java 6.40 as standalone or as Add-in installation.

Once this is done.. start the server using MMC.. Install NWDS in you r local system.. configure it to the message server.. what is your instance number of the J2ee server..

I think u r talking abt the ABAP server.. For java installation.. its default port has 500<inst no>.. unless u manually change them in config files there is no way that its not available..

If you list the steps you have done and the components you have installed .. we will be better position to help you..

Regards

Bharathwaj

vijayakhanna_raman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

The Software Deployment Manager (SDM) is a tool with which you can manage and deploy software packages.

To get more Knowlege about the SDM u can check on this link.. http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/22/a7663bb3808c1fe10000000a114084/content.htm

Regards,

Vijayakhanna Raman

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi christian

you may try this thing

go to windows->preferences->sapj2ee engine

check whether all details are entered properly.go to j2ee tab and check whether all lights are green.

regards

saravana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this link.. !

This is a similar question,..

Regards

Bharathwaj

arun_srinivasan
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

select ur j2ee engine tab,right click the SDM -->diable process then refresh it so that it

turns red in color,after a while right click and give enable process and refresh it will turn green.

Now try restartin it this should work.

hope this helps u,

Regards,

Arun

vijayakhanna_raman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Refer to this SAP note 756084 on Service marketplace. It describes about the most common problems with regards to SDM and how to solve it.

Also check this note 701654 for cannot connect to host problems.

Check with this thread this will be useful to u.

Regards,

Vijayakhanna Raman