cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Informational questions on Visual Composer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am doing some BW Web Development staff, and would appreciate your help with some information on Visual Composer:

1. Is Visual Compose a tool designed to build custom Analytical Applications?

2. Can it help me to enhance my BW web reports?

3. Where it can be dowloaded from?

4. Where i can find documentation to get started with the tool?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1.https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c7eea731-0401-0010-41a5-9e6f9e3a789c

2.https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/01c5d690-0201-0010-668a-b8d97d51a566

These links contain documents that can be useful for you.

Regards,

Vijai Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

ad 1) yes

ad 2) you cannot change BW web reports with the Visual Composer, you build dashboard with a different technology and repository

ad 3) An old version for download (from end of last year)can be found on SDN

ad 4) -"-

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mario for your prompt help.

I am trying to realize the added value of this tool.

I was wondering if i can take a predifined query i built with the Business Explorer, display it a in chart i build with the Web Application Designer and show it in a dashboard that i build with Visual Composer? If so what's the difference between the Visual Composer and the Web Application Designer (of BW)?

Can you elaborate on the setup that needs to be done in order to link Visual Composer to BW (and can it be linked to 3.1 as well or only to the Netweaver versions??)

BTW, where i can find the new version of the tool??

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use a BI query (that you built with BEx Query Designer) and use it in a dashboard built with Visual Composer. The VC is "similar" to some extent to the WAD, you can also build charts with VC.

The main differences are that WAD can only use BW-objects, while VC can use RFCs, JDBC, ODBO, XMLA, WebServices, SAP Query and BI datasources (~queries). While the WAD only builds "Analytical Applications", you can integrate transactions and analytics with the VC.

But at the moment the pure analytical capabilities of the WAD are much stronger.

As VC runs in the portal you only connect the portal with the BW and VC can access this system. Although there are some limitiations: BW 3.1 can onyl be accessed through the XMLA connector, for BW 3.5 and higher we have a special access through RFCs to use the BW specific functionality.

The new version (with Flex as runtime UI) is not generally released (only to a handfull of pilot-customers) and cannot be downloaded.

Mario