cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't uninstall Crystal Reports for .NET Framework.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: dhanisch

CA Forum: .NET

I installed CR from the msi (CRRedist2005_x86.msi) and when I go to uninstall it, the installer starts and then goes away. No error messages, it just starts "Gathering required information" and gets to about 80%, then goes away.

Some information about it all:

Windows Vista (I'm assuming this is the problem)UAC both on and off won't uninstallCan't uninstall from safe modeTried repairing first then uninstalling, no luckUnlocked the true administrator account, tried from there, no luckTried downloading a new MSI to repair/uninstall from.......no luck

Tried this on another Vista machine and had the same problem

So now I have multiple cases where I cannot uninstall CR from Vista

The event viewer shows the following events:

Log Name: ApplicationSource: MsiInstallerDate: 2/19/2008 7:18:30 AMEvent ID: 1034Task Category: NoneLevel: InformationKeywords: ClassicUser: admin-PC\AdministratorComputer: admin-PCDescription:Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 2.0 (x86). Product Version: 10.2.0. Product Language: 1033. Removal success or error status: 1603.

Log Name: ApplicationSource: MsiInstallerDate: 2/19/2008 7:18:30 AMEvent ID: 11725Task Category: NoneLevel: InformationKeywords: ClassicUser: admin-PC\AdministratorComputer: admin-PCDescription:Product: Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 2.0 (x86) -- Removal failed.

Any ideas on what is going on??

Thanks in advance,

Dan H.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: rhavlick

Hello,

I wrestled with this problem all day and finally figured it out. Here is what I did to uninstall it:

1) From the command prompt run: crredist2005_x86.msi /l v logfile.log

2) Open the logfile.log from Visual Studio. Next scroll down to probably around the middle where it's trying to delete the files, on my system it looked like this:

1: Deleting file 2: uplevel.6BEE2C32_7676_0C9D_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E 3: C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1_none_0c9d76766bee2c32\ 4: ATL80.dll Action ended 20:19:57: SxsUninstallCA.3A293793_0457_88B6_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E. Return value 3.Action ended 20:19:57: INSTALL. Return value 3.

3) Open that directory and find the ATL80.dll file. Basically ATL80.DLL has the ownership set to System. So I right clicked on it, go to the Security tab, then click Advanced, then click the Owner tab. The current owner will probably be set to system. So I changed that to my user. Saved it and applied changes. (Then close that window)

4) Right click on the ATL80.dll file again, I gave the Everyone user full permissions then from the security tab. Not sure if this really matters, I think the ownership is probably the key to it... I did it anyway.

Finally, once done, make sure you close out of that folder, and try to uninstall again, and it worked for me.

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for this solution. I had installed CRRedist2005_x86.msi on our Windows Server 2008 R2 server. Just like it's said here, it didn't want to uninstall later -- it stayed glued in Add/Remove programs.

Really, putting Everyone permissions on ATL80.dll in a weirdly named folder (x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_...) of C:\Windows\winsxs did the trick.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am also having troubles uninstalling Crystal Reports for .Net Framework 2.0 on a Windows XP Pro workstation, my app is deployed via ClickOnce using Visual Studio 2005. I've tried fixing the rights on the Side by Side files as described in this thread. Where do I download CRRedist2005_x86 SP1?

Thanks

Fritz

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

I found a better solution to get it removed from your Add/Remove Programs.

If you installed the original CRRedist2005_x86 from a CD for example, let's say the following location:

D:\Crystal Reports\

In Vista, you would go ahead and download the new SP1 CRRedist2005_x86 and place it somewhere on your computer.

Go to the Control Panel > Programs and Features

Right click on the Crystal Reports for .NET and select "Repair"

It will throw an error asking you to point to the location of the original

Navigate to your new SP1 version of the same file.

Let the repair finish

Right click and select "Uninstall" next

The product should uninstall at this point and you can reisntall the SP1 redistributable which will uninstall all the files correctly if need be.

Hopefully this helps someone else having the same issues.

Dan H.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: Sam_S

Hi dhanisch,

We have exactly the same problem. Once you install the redistributable on Vista you can't uninstall it, nor will it repair correctly.

You mentioned changing permission to the WinSxS assemblies. Could you explain how you did that on Vista, as I don't ever seem to be able to have ability to change permissions on those files. I can view the permissions but I can't change them.

ThanksSam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: dhanisch

Ok well it has to do with the folder permissions relating to the side by side (WinSxS) assemblies for the Visual C Runtime that's installed with the msi. Once I ran verbose logging on the msiexec, it kept bailing when trying to remove those files. Once I gave everyone permissions on them, the product uninstalled correctly.

Any idea how to resolve this issue at the time of install so that this doesn't become a problem for people trying to install the CR for .NET on Vista??