cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom table on portal database

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am writing a portal service and my requirements are such that I need to create some custom tables on the portal database. There is a naming convention for differentiating customer tables from SAP supplied tables in the R3 environment (start with Z). Does the same convention exist for creating a table in the portal database?

Or, since we are using Oracle, should I create another schema outside of the SAPxxxDB schema and put my tables there?

Thanks,

Ray

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think its better to create a separate schema and not make changes to the Portal DB Schema.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

If you are using the NWDS, you have access to the java dictionary, You create you table there, and when you deploy to your engine, it will create the table in the underlying database, regardless of what it is(oracle, sql, etc). In this case, you must precede the name of the table with 2 letters and underscore, the default is TMP_

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

In looking at the tables, I noticed these prefixes are being used:

BC_

EP_

J2EE_

MM_

SP_

TC_

UME_

WCR_

If I choose not to use TMP_, how do I know which prefix outside of the ones listed above would be safe and not conflict with any future prefixes provided by SAP? Is there a "customer" prefix?